CIFS share returns logon error, only on Windows 10 1607

I noticed I couldn't access my FreeNAS server on my Windows 10 machine recently, with Windows returning the following error when I access it:

"\\TOWER-X is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the this server to find out if you have access permissions.

A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated."

I tried accessing it from a Mac and that worked fine, so that tells me that the server itself is running correctly - although technically that only tells me AFP is working, so I tried from another Windows 10 machine and got the same error. Both Windows 10 machines are running version 1607. I then installed Windows 7 on an old laptop, and could access the server no problem. I never had this issue on older Windows 10 versions.

So all that tells me that the server is working, and the CIFS share set up is working, but something in Windows 10 1607 is preventing access. I am running an older version of FreeNAS (8.2) as I can't upgrade (I only have a 4GB USB drive running it at the moment) but looking through the release notes for 9.1, I didn't see anything regarding this issue. Searching for this issue on the forum didn't return anything either.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks!

toadman

Guru
I haven't experienced it. I wonder if it has to do with SMB version supported by the FreeNAS 8.2? That's pretty old. Looks like Samba 3.6.5 was used in that version. Maybe check if there are known issues with Windows 10 and that version of Samba?

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into Samba 3.6.5 compatibility with Windows 10 and found some information about Microsoft disabling some features with Microsoft Account users accessing network shares under guest accounts. I created a local account sure enough I can access everything from Windows 10.

So this helps to narrow down the cause, and eliminates the issue of the FreeNAS server itself. I was reading in later versions of FreeNAS, there is support for users that are 'Microsoft Accounts' so I may just need to upgrade (meaning rebuilt it on a new OS disk I think), and create a user account for my machine instead of using a guest account.

Thanks!

Yes I think that is the route I need to go (upgrading).

After further investigation, I can still connect and access the server via backup software (like Macrium Reflect) oddly enough, just not through Explorer itself. Setting up the FTP service though seems to be working for me for now though until I can get around to upgrading it. A little annoying but at least I can still access the files.

Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

lamb1133

Cadet
Sorry to go Zombie on this thread. I am running Frenass-11.3-U3.2. I recently got a new laptop running Windows 1909 and cannot access my SMB share. My window PC running 1703 can access just fine, but when I try the same login credentials as the 1703 machine I get "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated." message. I can also access the share from a Ubuntu 20.04 machine. I have tried to login on the Windows 1909 machine with other user credentials I have setup in Freenas, but get the same "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.". I have tried searching the forum for a solution as I know SMB shares have been having issues with the U3 updates, but this is the only thread I have found with the text "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated." Please let me know if you have any ideas on what I can try.

lamb1133

Cadet

Seems like post is fixing it by enabling guest acess as the fix? I am not wanting to use guest access. I would like to keep it secure and require a username and password.

*** EDIT ***

Wasn't a Windows issue or Frenass Issue. User Error, like normal. However, I still have not figured out what the issue was, but it has to do with the new computers / windows 10 is taking the username and password. I can still not map the drive, but at least can access the share.

Last edited: