choosing a lsi card advice

tnjona

Cadet
hello, I'm thinking of buying a hba lsi card, since I became aware of the topic. But I still have some questions that someone from the community may be able to help me with.

I have seen that there are different models 9207, 9211, ...
Compared is the 9207 and the 9217 but better than the 9211. So from the controllers I'm not quite clear. I also noticed that there are several SAS generations (1000s 2000s 3000s), which I understand but do not see anywhere on eBay.
I will only use HDDs with the card, which model would be recommended? And what I with these cheap cards from China, they are recommended?
Are the following cards recommended?

I also read in a forum that you can no longer run these server cards with new Intel CPUs from the 11th generation, because these probably do not support legacy boot? This would be a problem for me, because I plan to use my Intel PC CPU in the future as a server CPU.

I am grateful to anyone who can help me understand the topic better.
Jonathan

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I also read in a forum that you can no longer run these server cards with new Intel CPUs from the 11th generation, because these probably do not support legacy boot?
I don't know what you've been reading, but don't read it. Not only do all LSI SAS2 and SAS3 controllers have the option to flash a UEFI extension ROM that allows you to boot from the controller, you'd only need it if you're booting from the controller.
the system would be a i5 11600, z590
Why?
And what I with these cheap cards from China, they are recommended?
Definitely not. Fakes, factory rejects, third shift production... There are many theories, but the bottom line is they're best avoided.
I also noticed that there are several SAS generations (1000s 2000s 3000s)
Well, SAS1 must be avoided like the plague due to silly hardware limitations (Maximum disk size of around 2 TB with 512-byte sectors). SAS2 and SAS3 are fine, SAS4 is way too new and way too different to be recommended at this stage.
I have seen that there are different models 9207, 9211, ...
Compared is the 9207 and the 9217 but better than the 9211
You should probably read the following documents:

tnjona

Cadet
Thanks for youre answer @Ericloewe

my current server runs a ryzen 1600x, which needs to be replaced because its too slow. so i will upgrade my gaming system and use the old hardware as a server, like the 1600x was repurposed.

Definitely not. Fakes, factory rejects, third shift production... There are many theories, but the bottom line is they're best avoided.
but the offers i linked seemed legit to me. I heard artsoftheserver is a good seller, but im from germany and would pay 25 for shipping plus 20% for import taxes. The only alternative are china cards. The following card would be available from germany, but is expansive and overkill für hdds:

Maybe someone has some links for legit cards ...

NugentS

MVP
There are European based dismantlers which would likely have a card that would probably need flashing
Art of Server is a good supplier
@tnjona that card you linked to from ebay is expensive for what it is. But the seller looks legit

tnjona

Cadet
There are European based dismantlers which would likely have a card that would probably need flashing
Art of Server is a good supplier
@tnjona that card you linked to from ebay is expensive for what it is. But the seller looks legit
thx for youre respond, how much should a similar card cost?

NugentS

MVP
The 9200's and their ilk are great for HDD's, not so hot for many SSD's. SAS 6Gb
The 9300's and their ilk are great for both SSD's and SSD's. SAS 12Gb. They cost a bit more
There are many cards that are in fact LSI cards, just rebranded.

For example: Ebay Link which is a SAS 9200 with a IBM stick on it. This also has the advantage (allegedly) of having the right firmware on it and is not a ridiculous price

The Dell Perc HBA 330 is a 9300: Ebay Link at about twice the price. Note that you will almost certainly have to flash this one to IT software (as opposed to IR) but that shouldn't be hard

There are lots of different cards available. Just be careful to get what is in fact an LSI card but NOT a RAID card (ie MegaRAID) which is bad

DO NOTE there is a minimum airflow requirement of 200 LFM, typically.

Art Of Server has a lot of helpful videos and according to members here a very trustworthy store. This video might help you considerably:

tnjona

Cadet
The 9200's and their ilk are great for HDD's, not so hot for many SSD's. SAS 6Gb
The 9300's and their ilk are great for both SSD's and SSD's. SAS 12Gb. They cost a bit more
That means I get 6Gb per SATA port, so 3GB per SAS port, or only 6Gb per SAS port?
nevermind the video explains it. For others reading this: it's 6Gb per lane.

DO NOTE there is a minimum airflow requirement of 200 LFM, typically.

Art Of Server has a lot of helpful videos and according to members here a very trustworthy store. This video might help you considerably:

hi, I have also thought about this. The best solution is a small fan, right? For most heatspreader probably 40mm ... the video really helped.

Last edited:
A Ryzen 1600x is "probably" not in a high-flow server case...and if it is in a conventional case I would guess there might not be enough flow, however most of those cards will manage with 100 LFM just fine except for the one on the right with that huge heatsink...that one truly needs airflow as it's a scorcher. Then again, maybe you've a bunch of 120mm fans, or a Blowie-Matron, or bigger, so...

For the smaller heatsinks:

For the whopper: