SOLVED Changing EMail

NASbox

Guru
I just changed my email provider, and am trying to reconfigure FreeNAS to use the new SMTP servers for use with FreeNAS-11.3-U5.

I changed the email for root/the other users with email configured, and also under System/EMail and System/Alert Services.

I was reading on the web that there was a setting under SMART, but I couldn't find anything. Is this obsolete, and have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

joeschmuck

Old Man
SMART should use your root email address as I recall. Sounds like you have it all configured.

millst

Contributor
3 places sounds right. I went through this recently and remember having to go back a couple times to figure out what I had missed :(

NASbox

Guru
I have done the "Test" where I set up the addresses, but I want to be sure that SMART test failures produce an email. Is there any way to force a test email?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
It's under System->Email. There's a big Send Test Mail button there.

NASbox

Guru
It's under System->Email. There's a big Send Test Mail button there.
@Samuel Tai - Thanks... I successfully tested as you have described. I'm curious has FreeNAS/TrueNAS been modified to concentrate all the email settings to the one location or have the settings described here:
https://blog.udance.com.au/2019/03/23/freenas-mail-notification-settings/
from an older version of FreeNAS been consolidated/eliminated. I don't know the system well enough to know for sure. I looked though everywere I thought made sense, but I want to make 100% sure that I've got everything becuase any notification I haven't set up properly will likely be very important. Thanks in advance for any insight.

joeschmuck

Old Man
but I want to make 100% sure that I've got everything becuase any notification I haven't set up properly will likely be very important.
Don't you know that is how we figure out something it wrong, when it bites us in the a$$. I'm with you, it would be nice to have all the Email Setup information in the User Guide in one location, or possibly a set of links embedded, some method to make it easy.

Samuel Tai

The new UI concentrates e-mail into 3 places, from what I've seen.
  1. Root's e-mail address, under Accounts->Users. From what I can tell, this is only used for OS-level alerts, which should be very rare.
  2. System->Email, which defines the external mail settings.
  3. System->Alert Services->Email. If this is blank, it will use the setting from 2.
Jails and plugins need to have their e-mail set up individually.

NASbox

Guru
The new UI concentrates e-mail into 3 places, from what I've seen.
  1. Root's e-mail address, under Accounts->Users. From what I can tell, this is only used for OS-level alerts, which should be very rare.
  2. System->Email, which defines the external mail settings.
  3. System->Alert Services->Email. If this is blank, it will use the setting from 2.
Jails and plugins need to have their e-mail set up individually.
An I correct that the only SMTP settings are in 2 System->Email?

It's the smtp setting I am worried about because I have only changed smtp provider, not the addresses/domain.

IIUC the only place that I would need to change is 2 System->Email - Correct?

Samuel Tai

Correct. System->Email is the only place to define external SMTP parameters.

JGS000

Dabbler
Thank You all for this post. I Recently upgraded to 11.3 and had the exact same question!

The new UI concentrates e-mail into 3 places
While UPS triggers are covered under System > Alert Settings, there's still an email field under Services > UPS. It's unclear whether this is defunct now, or whether it still needs to be configured? If it's defunct, it should really be removed from the latter to avoid any ambiguity.

Reported in JIRA thread NAS-111027.

Last edited: