No alerts / notifications anymore

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
Hey together,
i just realized, that my current FreeNAS 11.3-U1 doesn't always send alerts anymore about anything.

1. I was a bit bored yesterday and was reading in the manual, that FreeNAS is normally sending everyday a report about anything what happened during the day. I never ever received it.
2. Until a few weeks ago, i always got important notifications (Scrub started, Scrub finished, CloudSync Task ended with error, pool degraded...). Since a few weeks (i honestly don't know since when and if before or after the upgrade), i almost never get any of those emails anymore.

The mail-provider is set successfull (Gmail under System -> Email) and all the test emails arrive properly.
Under "Alert settings" i yet changed nothing, so all by default.
Under "Alert services" i now added many options (as you can see in the screenshot), but no success. The test alert of each new created alert is being sent properly.

Any ideas, how to fix this?

Brgds and thanks in advance

Attachments

• FreeNAS Alerts.JPG
    FreeNAS Alerts.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 256

seanm

Guru
Hmm, after reading this, I just checked, and I haven't received one of those "scrub started" emails since I updated to 11.3. I have received "Alert" email since 11.3 though. I just sent a 'test email' from System > Email and I received that.

So I have no solution, but seem to have your same problem...

Octopuss

Patron
I didn't get any email notification for the U1 update, so this might be a bug...

seanm

Guru
So from the command line I ran `freenas-debug` and searched the output for `email`, and found this:

"error": "[EFAULT] Failed to send email: [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known", "exception": "Traceback (most recent call last):\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/mail.py\", line 363, in send_raw\n server = self._get_smtp_server(config, message['timeout'], local_hostname=local_hostname)\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/mail.py\", line 411, in _get_smtp_server\n local_hostname=local_hostname)\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/smtplib.py\", line 251, in __init__\n (code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/smtplib.py\", line 336, in connect\n self.sock = self._get_socket(host, port, self.timeout)\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/smtplib.py\", line 307, in _get_socket\n self.source_address)\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/socket.py\", line 707, in create_connection\n for res in getaddrinfo(host, port, 0, SOCK_STREAM):\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/socket.py\", line 748, in getaddrinfo\n for res in _socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, type, proto, flags):\nsocket.gaierror: [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known\n\nDuring handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:\n\nTraceback (most recent call last):\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py\", line 349, in run\n await self.future\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py\", line 388, in __run_body\n rv = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.method, *([self] + args))\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/utils/run_in_thread.py\", line 10, in run_in_thread\n return await self.loop.run_in_executor(self.run_in_thread_executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py\", line 25, in run\n result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py\", line 965, in nf\n return f(*args, **kwargs)\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/mail.py\", line 232, in send\n return self.send_raw(job, message, config)\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py\", line 965, in nf\n return f(*args, **kwargs)\n File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/mail.py\", line 389, in send_raw\n raise CallError(f'Failed to send email: {e}')\nmiddlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to send email: [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known\n",

Do you both see similar?

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
So from the command line I ran `freenas-debug` and searched the output for `email`, and found this:

Do you both see similar?

Which debug did you use? freenas-debug -A? I need to choose an option.

With the debug-information in "all", i don't find anything about email.

A ping to smtp.gmail.com works at least. And makes also sense, because the test-email can be sent.

Last edited:

Octopuss

Patron
Didn't get any output looking like the above either.

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
Really weird behavior. This night I got suddenly for times the same email about scrub started & finished. But other notifications not.

Octopuss

Patron
Test mails work just fine, I've just tested.
No update reminder though.
edit: Hmm, I was digging in the alert settings and the level might gad been set too high. I never touched the setting and could swear I did get update notifications in past though. I'll keep it running and see what happens.

Last edited:

Andy C

Explorer
Was this ever resolved ? I get emails about periodic rsync failures (not important) but nothing about new FN releases. I'm on 11.3-U1 using Gmail and the SMTP configuration test works fine.

Octopuss

Patron
See my post above yours.
It was just a misconfiguration of alerts verbosity in my case.

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
Looks like the default settings are buggy or?
I now get some notifications again, but had to activate all of them manually.