No email after critical event

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwoodcomb

Explorer
I just logged into my FreeNAS box only to be welcomed by a blinking red dot. I found out one of my hard drives has an uncorrectable sector.

I was under the impression that FreeNAS would email me when there is a critical event. Is this not correct?

I configured email under SYSTEM>EMAIL a long time ago and I know that it works because I do get emails when the power goes out and my UPS kicks in. Is there some other thing I need to configure in order to receive emails? or does FreeNAS not email when there is a critical event?

I noticed there is SYSTEM>ALERT SERVICES but that seems to be used in conjunction with other services offered by other companies.

Any help would be appreciated

Redcoat

MVP
I was under the impression that FreeNAS would email me when there is a critical event. Is this not correct?

The manual says "messages requiring attention are listed as a red CRITICAL. CRITICAL messages are also emailed to the root user account." so I believe that you are right and have relied on that info, too.

I configured email under SYSTEM>EMAIL a long time ago and I know that it works because I do get emails when the power goes out and my UPS kicks in.

But are these two scenarios the same? I believe the UPS email message configuration is different (set in the SERVICES, UPS, tab "To Email"), than the system email messages (which are sent to the email address entered for the root user account). Have you tried the Send Test Email button on the System, Email, tab to check that you do receive that email?

drwoodcomb

Explorer
Have you tried the Send Test Email button on the System, Email, tab to check that you do receive that email?

Hi, I tried the test and it mentioned needing to change the email address on the root user account. So I think it should work now. Thanks for your help

danb35

Hall of Famer
I configured email under SYSTEM>EMAIL a long time ago and I know that it works because I do get emails when the power goes out and my UPS kicks in.
SMART issues require different email configuration; that's done with the SMART service settings.

drwoodcomb

Explorer
SMART issues require different email configuration; that's done with the SMART service settings.

Thanks I got everything working now

Status
Not open for further replies.