Can't install TrueNAS 13 U3.1 - Installation hangs - GPT header corruption & SecureBoot

ihr

Dabbler
Hello,

Yesterday I started a thread here:

But maybe this is the right place to continue the discussion so I'm creating this thread here and will announce also there

Hope this could be solved soon!

ihr

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm moving forward with the first message shown by the AMI Bios "GPT header corruption". Here is an analysis of the USB Boot drive:

Methodology:

1) USB drive burned from ISO, The ISO checksum has been verified to be correct!
2) Executed several tools to extract information from the GPT partition and disk
3) The USB is inserted in the PC using an AMI BIOS. The message about corrupted GPT appears
4) The BIOS is configured to repair the corrupted GPT. The system boots again
5) The message about corrupted GPT is gone and the initial menu to install TrueNAS (from EFI) pops up
6) As stated, when pressing 1, the system DOES NOT BOOT to the Installer Op System. Most likely because of the Secure Boot can't be disabled?
7) Power off the computer, extract USB and execute the same tools in step (2)
8) Compare the results

Results: The information is Exactly the same! so the good news is that the fix about the corruption is not removing essential data that would be required for the installation.

Images and files attached:
- USB analysis collected at step 2
- USB analysis collected as step 7
- IMG_0154: BIOS message at step 3
- IMG_0155: Warning message from the BIOS when activating "repair"
- IMG_0156: TrueNAS EFI menu
- IMG_0157: what happens when I press "1" to start the install process.

Conclusion:

* To solve the issue, the root of the problem is the lack of signature of the modules loaded by the TrueNAS installation process. Note I could run the installed of Proxmox without any issue so TrueNAS could just "do the same"?.
* If obtaining an intermediate certificate to digitally sign the boot modules is "expensive" for iXsystems, an alternative is to create their own root CA and intermediate certificates and distribute them in a separate ISO so we can use the BIOS mechanism to load the PK and the rest of the keys at our own risk.

I'll continue exploring what else could I do in regard with the Secure Boot blocker issue.
Any help will be appreciated!

Regards
Ignacio

Attachments

• TrueNASDiskInformation-original.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 131
  • TrueNASDiskInformation-ami-repaired.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0154 Mediano.jpeg
    IMG_0154 Mediano.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0155 Mediano.jpeg
    IMG_0155 Mediano.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0156 Mediano.jpeg
    IMG_0156 Mediano.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0157 Mediano.jpeg
    IMG_0157 Mediano.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 158

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Reviewing your other thread, did you remove any existing keys/signatures in the EFI menu before attempting to boot the TrueNAS installer?

I would find it very unusual if there's no way to fully or functionally disable Secure Boot on this motherboard.

ihr

Dabbler
Hello @HoneyBadger

Yes, I tried deleting the PK key as suggested in other pages, but there is no difference. FreeBSD does not start from EFI.
I've already open a support case at Asus regarding the deactivation of Secure Boot for my MB, hope they respond soon.

In the meantime, I hope iXsystems can provide us a set of keys to be loaded to the BIOS and a new release with the boot modules signed as this is a path they will have to travel hope sooner better than later.

Last edited:

ihr

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm moving forward with the first message shown by the AMI Bios "GPT header corruption". Here is an analysis of the USB Boot drive:

Methodology:

1) USB drive burned from ISO, The ISO checksum has been verified to be correct!
2) Executed several tools to extract information from the GPT partition and disk
3) The USB is inserted in the PC using an AMI BIOS. The message about corrupted GPT appears
4) The BIOS is configured to repair the corrupted GPT. The system boots again
5) The message about corrupted GPT is gone and the initial menu to install TrueNAS (from EFI) pops up
6) As stated, when pressing 1, the system DOES NOT BOOT to the Installer Op System. Most likely because of the Secure Boot can't be disabled?
7) Power off the computer, extract USB and execute the same tools in step (2)
8) Compare the results

Results: The information is Exactly the same! so the good news is that the fix about the corruption is not removing essential data that would be required for the installation.

Images and files attached:
- USB analysis collected at step 2
- USB analysis collected as step 7
- IMG_0154: BIOS message at step 3
- IMG_0155: Warning message from the BIOS when activating "repair"
- IMG_0156: TrueNAS EFI menu
- IMG_0157: what happens when I press "1" to start the install process.

Conclusion:

* To solve the issue, the root of the problem is the lack of signature of the modules loaded by the TrueNAS installation process. Note I could run the installed of Proxmox without any issue so TrueNAS could just "do the same"?.
* If obtaining an intermediate certificate to digitally sign the boot modules is "expensive" for iXsystems, an alternative is to create their own root CA and intermediate certificates and distribute them in a separate ISO so we can use the BIOS mechanism to load the PK and the rest of the keys at our own risk.

I'll continue exploring what else could I do in regard with the Secure Boot blocker issue.
Any help will be appreciated!

Regards
Ignacio
Regarding this. hmm... there is one possibility that the changes made by the AMI BIOS in their "repair" process were the removal of the content of the boot partition? That would explain why after the EFI boot, the OS Boot Installed (FreeBSD Op system) does not start