Can't boot FreeNas

Nailroth

Cadet
Hi, I finaly made an old computer into a nas and installed FreeNas without much problem now when i try to boot onto the usb where it's installed i get a blank screen and now i have had it turned on for 1 hour and still the same screen
IMG_20200221_223854_BURST1.jpg

The white line keeps blinking but nothing more happens.
What is wrong?

Nailroth

Cadet
It's a asus M4a77 motherboard with an old amd proccessor from like 2010 runs windows 10 fine

Hmmm... I had the same issue when I did my first install with a USB thumb drive as the boot device. I went on Amazon and picked up a couple of Kingston AS400 120GB SATA drives for about $20 each to use as mirrored boot drives. Using USB thumb drives aren't recommended now.

If you want to use a USB thumb drive, I'd (a) use a good quality USB thumb drive and (b) use a USB 2.0 thumb drive. USB 3.0 drives tend to have problems from the posts that I've seen.

Nailroth

Cadet
Im using a kingston 16gb usb drive probably 4-5 years old so still USB 2.0 But i guess i can sacrifice one of the drives for boot then. unless i can create one partition on my other computer and install it there did not check when i installed if it could locate partitions just went straight for the usb drive.

FreeNAS will use all of the boot device.

Nailroth

Cadet
I figured out what was wrong i should have choosing booting from Bios when i installed so now it works but i guess freenas is not for me as i thought i could combine my drives into 1. I guess i just plop the drives back into the windows machine to save on my power bill.

Hi @Nailroth - I can understand where you are coming from. I may (will?) likely receive some thumbs down on this statement, but the reality is that FreeNAS is (a) based upon a enterprise (datacentre) product (TrueNAS) and does have the overhead (and learning curve) of a datacentre product; (b) while FreeNAS is based upon TrueNAS, it does have some, dare I say it, consumer-like features such as the plugins, etc. adding to complexity; and (c) there needs to be a level of technical skill (and learning - I'm still learning FreeBSD/FreeNAS despite over 25 years in the IT field).

That said, if you have the right hardware and follow the guides and recommendations in these forums you can be successful. It is not, however, as simple as Synology or QNAP. I have or have used both. I have found that they both provide good service. (I moved for FreeNAS after looking at OMV, Unraid and XigmaNAS after deciding the that features v. price of a Synology 8+ bay system with 2+ NICs could not make my budget.)

If you think about continuing your efforts or returning at a later time, I suggest that you read:
FreeNAS Hardware Guide (Up-To-Date)
Will it FreeNAS?: Check it Before You Wreck It

Finally, check the posts by the experienced FreeNAS folks on these forums such as @Chris Moore, @HoneyBadger, etc. They all seem to have "been there, done that" and I personally like to learn from someone else's pain ;) (It is your system and your data so you can always do what you want; just don't cry when things go wrong when you colour outside of the lines!)