Select CD-ROM Boot Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakobud

Cadet
I'm attempting to install FreeNAS for the first time. This is my setup:

Mini-ITX motherboard
Two 1 TB hdds (for storage and mirror)
32 GB SanDisk USB Flash Drive (for the boot drive)
External USB DVD Drive (for installing FreeNAS from a DVD).

So far I have downloaded the latest ISO and burned it to the DVD. On the nas server in the boot setup, I have it set to boot to CD-ROM first, and then the SanDisk Flash Drive next.

I put in my DVD, turn on the computer and I'm confronted with this prompt:

Select CD-ROM Boot Type: _

What? No matter if I select 1 or 2, it just takes me to a blank black screen with a blinking cursor. There doesn't appear to be any activity from the DVD drive. I've been building computers for 20 years and this is the first time I've seen this kind of thing.

Anyone have any clues on what to do?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Do you have another USB stick? You can just boot from that. I didn't know people still used CD/DVDs anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ccssid

Explorer
did you just copy the iso to the cd or did you make it a bootable disk. if it is bootable just set cd to boot first. in the bios. than insert your flash drive when you reboot and freenas will take over from the cd......it will eventually ask where you want to load freenas to.......point your computer to the inserted flash drive. freenas will load onto the flash drive. then go back into bios and set your flashdrive to boot first. (typically it will be listed under harddrives.)

Jakobud

Cadet
I used Window's default disc burning utility to burn the ISO. No I did not just copy it over. Here is a screenshot of the disc contents after burning:

FnV7QV8.jpg

Does that look correct?

ccssid

Explorer
I used Window's default disc burning utility to burn the ISO. No I did not just copy it over. Here is a screenshot of the disc contents after burning:

FnV7QV8.jpg

Does that look correct?

Yep. That is it ! Now just boot off the cd and have your flash drive inserted into a usb port and follow the directions

Status
Not open for further replies.