Can't install FreeNAS 8.2 via either USB or CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

fzzzt

Cadet
Hello,

I'm trying to install FreeNAS to try it out, but can't get it to install. When I use a USB stick, it fails at mounting root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1 (IIRC), and via CD-ROM, it fails at "Looking for installation cdrom on ". At the USB mountroot> prompt I can't do anything, since apparently USB keyboards don't work in FreeBSD at this prompt. At the CD-ROM stopping point nothing seems to work either. I was hoping to boot the CD-ROM, find out what the USB device is, and modify the image...I would rather run from a USB stick. This all gives me pause, though...Is it really this fragile?

fzzzt

Cadet
I made a little progress. Initially I used the Win32 image utility mentioned in some docs somewhere. After it didn't work, I passed the USB stick through to a VM and discovered that only s2 and s3 has UFS labels (FreeNASs2 and FreeNASs3). The FreeNASs1a label that is referenced in /etc/fstab was not there. I re-imaged it using dd in the VM, but this problem persisted. I manually labeled it via tunefs, and it shows up and mounts, but still doesn't work. I still get "Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a", no mount, mountroot> prompt, no keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.