Cannot re-import my pool after erasing a drive that was added via the GUI...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs225

Guru
No leading /, just zfs mount zpool/example

A warning going forward: If this pool is going to be used for any period of time beyond backup and recreate, you will want to add a mirror disk to da6 so that it isn't a single failure point in the pool.

Thread note: I'm going to remove the dangerous commands and outputs(from my own posts) that might tend to get casual readers in trouble, and others may want to do the same, particularly to remove their personal data.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I am shocked that this appears to be working! And pleased at the same time. I'd like to know when you are able to pull some data from the drives.

Joel Jamison

Dabbler
Hi Joe, I am as shocked as anyone. RS is a miracle worker. The scrub didn't change anything but using the proper syntax for the zfs mount command did. I'm copying over the data now and will update the thread once I can confirm that the data is intact. As RS suggested I too will remove specific commands from these posts so as not to lead anyone astray.
Code:
[root@freenas] /# zfs mount zpool/joelitunes

[root@freenas] /zpool# cd  /mnt/zpool/joelitunes

[root@freenas] /mnt/zpool/joelitunes# ls

./							.DS_Store*

../						   .mac*						 IMG_7055.jpg*				 Pics/

.apdisk					   .TemporaryItems/			  iMovie Library.imovielibrary/ T's iTunes/

.apple*					   Apple TV Photo Cache/		 iMovie Theater.theater/	   Tanya iphoto/
[root@freenas] /mnt/zpool/joelitunes# cp -R Tanya\ iphoto/ /mnt/pool2/

joeschmuck

Old Man
If the data is intact then I think @rs225 should write up a guide on how to do this type of recovery, with specific warnings and disclaimer as well.

And I will have to bow at the feet of @rs225 for the miracle pulled off.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Stux

MVP
Pretty much, if the scrub works...

Lucky.

Joel Jamison

Dabbler
The data is there, I still can't believe this worked. Now to roll back to 9.10, make a new pool for this content and setup a replication task to have on going backups. Thank you again RS225!!

rs225

Guru
Many of these threads don't end well, so thanks everyone, and to Joel himself. The easiest user to help is a helpful user.

I doubt this particular solution is going to see many repeats, since I don't know that many partition table problems have ever been posted. Probably the most important point is that it was another variant of single vdev addition, with a twist.

And another reminder that you always need a backup, because you never see it coming. And if a full backup is too much, you can pack an awful lot in a couple TB external drive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.