Can I use FreeNAS Corral? (+ other questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gegtor

Explorer
Hi guys i come here as ultra unhappy unRAID 6 client and want to ask some questions :)

Here are they
  • Can i use FreeNAS Corral? is it okay to use for few VM's and basic file sharing? (i want FreeNAS Corral because of UI)
  • How good AFP shares work in FreeNAS? i have few Mac's and 2 Pc's and my macOS experience with AFP and unRAID os was terrible
  • My main server is based on Ryzen 7 + B350M motherboard will FreeNAS even work on it? currently i have non-ECC ram but i can swap it if it's needed (and i know it is)
I'm a newbie here if i asked these questions in wrong section or you don't like something about my post please let me know :)

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can i use FreeNAS Corral?
Can you? Sure. Should you? Not only no, but hell no.
How good AFP shares work in FreeNAS?
They work well for me, but the only place you really need them (and even this is changing, I understand) is for Time Machine. For anything else, Mac OS works just as well (if not better) with SMB as with AFP.
My main server is based on Ryzen 7 + B350M motherboard will FreeNAS even work on it?
Probably, though I don't think we have much collective experience with Ryzen yet. ECC is not an absolute necessity, but it's strongly recommended--though for it to work, the CPU, memory controller, BIOS, and RAM all have to support it.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Please don't use Corral. It has serious and unresolved bugs. Running that on the as-yet unproven Ryzen without ECC RAM is asking for trouble. Do that board and processor actually use ECC RAM, or just allow it to be installed and ignore the ECC bits?

Status
Not open for further replies.