Suddenly getting "no shares available" error when mounting AFP from macOS

freenasafp

Cadet
Hello everyone. This is my first post in the forums, although I've benefited from reading through posts in the past so I'm hoping to receive some help from the community for a problem that currently has our media team at a standstill.

The problem:
Our media team usually has AFP shares mounted via static IP through a LAN connection. The shares suddenly dismounted earlier today, and we've been unable to get them to mount again as macOS shows a "there are no shares available or you are not allowed to access them on the server" error message when trying to connect.

What I've tried and noticed:
  1. Searched Google / forums
  2. Restarted FreeNAS multiple times
  3. Restarted AFP service
  4. Created new AFP share and user to test whether a new share would show up (nothing showed up)
  5. Downgraded from 11.2 U4.1 to 11.1 U7
  6. SSH works
  7. SMB works
  8. There was a spike in write speed on all disks shortly before the shares dismounted
  9. Two of our disks have offline uncorrectable sectors (in the process of switching them out)
We recently upgraded to 11.2 U4.1 - that's the reason we decided to try downgrading to see if it was an OS issue. I know that more hardware information may be needed, but I'm not sure what exactly is most relative for this problem, so if you can let me know I will get back to you first thing tomorrow with more information.

The only other thing I was doing was getting rsync to work between FreeNAS and Synology, but I wasn't changing any user permissions or AFP settings that should have caused it (to my knowledge).

We would love to get our AFP shares mounting again so our team can work tomorrow so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

freenasafp

Cadet
Hello everyone! We are still looking for help on this if any of you have any ideas. We have replaced one of the disk with errors but still not able to mount AFP shares. There is another disk (looks to be the boot disk) that shows as healthy but has "offline uncorrectable sectors". We are going to be adding a USB soon that will be mirrored and used as the primary boot disk once it's ready. Don't understand why the volume condition shows as healthy when it has errors though.

1561141308523.png

seanm

Guru
Did you check logs? I'm not sure what netatalk logs, but they might reveal something.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you change any permissions or install any applications which may have changed file/directory permissions? My first suggestion is to note the file permissions for the AFP shares and then change it to "777" and see if that helps. If it starts to work then you had a permissions change and it caused your problem. I'm not telling you to leave these files/directory's at "777", I'd change to to something proper for your security needs. It might help you isolate the problem. I unfortunately do not use AFP so there is not more I can suggest.

Good Luck!

freenasafp

Cadet
@seanm - we ended up consulting with Gainframe as IX Systems referred us to them.

We were able to fix all of the errors but the command that fixed our issue with shares was the following:

chmod +x /dev/tank

After that, AFP shares showed up again. Strange because I hadn't done anything permissions-wise when the issue popped up.

@joeschmuck - I will try that out as we are still having issues with users only having access according to dataset permissions, and not AFP permissions.

Thank you and will update this once we completely resolve issues.