Bunch of hardware in my box - how best to use them

tre4B

Dabbler
Okay, I bet there are lots of similar posts here, so some of you will have tried all the options.

I have converted my QNAP to TrueNAS which I like much better now I am starting to get the hang of it. I've not transferred my data to it on bulk yet, so I have flexibility to set it up any way I like. Originally I put 2 x 500gb SSDs in the box as I planned to boot from it with whatever system I used to replace QTS.

This turned out to be a fail as the QNAP box cannot boot from anything other than the Spinning drives. I added two USB connected 128GB SSDs to boot from and I chose to go TrueNAS so I have the following available for pools

2 x 500gb SSD
4 x 8TB Sata disks

The QNAP is restricted on memory though. It has been expanded to 16GB which is the max amount of memory on the box which is powered by a four core Celeron. My question is about what I am best to use the disks for. Currently I set it up as two Pools one of spinning and one of SSD. I've not stored anything on the SSD yet but TrueNAS still feels more snappy than QTS ever did. This is a small consumer size box in a house which will be used for keeping a local copy of OneDrive and of local machines in the house. I set the spinning up as RaidZ as the space is more critical than massive amounts of redundancy. It will also house media delivered through EMBY. Should I bother with VDEVS like ZFS L2ARC cache? or Log? It feels like it probably won't add much with my usage but most discussion on this is focused on Corporate use so finding advice on little uses is not easy. I read something that said to not bother with it anyway unless you have more than 32GB ram.

I appreciate this likely gets asked many times and bores the pants off people, but any advice you can give me would be gratefully received.

Davvo

MVP
Please read the following resources:

You don't need a SLOG.

You don't use L2ARC unless you have maxed out your RAM capacity, whith the caveat that you need to have at least 64GB.

On the SSDs (usually 2-way mirror) you should store your apps and VM's zvols; small files also benefit from the higher IOPS.
Hard drives are best for large files.

Look in my signature or directly in the resource section for more knowledge.

Last edited:

tre4B

Dabbler
Thanks Davvo, that really helps