NAS box

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpsguy

As I said earlier, it has both Intel and Marvell SATA controllers. I believe the Marvell controller might be a bit flaky.

fn-quser

Dabbler
I've gotten into the ipmi I downloaded the supermicro reset tool and ran it to reset the admin account. No config in there for the raid. Looks from the logs this thing was on all the time hardly any reboots. Not allot of help I know...

fn-quser

Dabbler
With some help from Richard last night I wanted to share I'm able to provide you guys with this information. There is a ZFS pool called Tux on each volume. Before running the FreeNas boot again and trying zpool import or anything else I wanted to see if anyone has thoughts/reservations after seeing the pdf?

Txs again

Attachments

• NASDrives.pdf
    599 KB · Views: 490

fn-quser

Dabbler
I meant Robert not Richard kind of riding a high thinking we might be able to get into it...

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Does each disk appear the same when selected in Disk Utility? If so, it looks very much like a FreeNAS pool, especially with the 2GB swap partitions. If not, post a screenshot for each disk.

I suggest you try booting into FreeNAS, opening the Shell and posting the output from zpool import. I'm going to bed now but someone else will surely respond. If it shows an importable pool, try to resist the urge to actually import it right away, unless guided by an experienced forum member. If you can't resist, at least start by importing it read-only.

I'll check back tomorrow.

EDIT: I see now that the PDF shows all five disks with partitions consistent with a FreeNAS pool.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I took another look at the PDF and I see that two of the drives show "SMART is not enabled". This is consistent with those drives being connected to a controller that isn't passing SMART through to the OS. You might want to consider labelling each drive to show which SATA port it is currently connected to, just in case you need to revert, then moving those two drives to the same controller as the other three. In case you're wondering, ZFS does not care which drive is connected to which port, so it will only matter if the controller is set up in a RAID mode, which does not appear to be the case based on how the drives and their partitions are being identified in Linux.

fn-quser

Dabbler
Attached are the results of running the zpool import command. I'm not going any further with this until I hear back but things are still looking promising.

Thanks again to everyone

Attachments

• Zpool Results.pdf
    168.1 KB · Views: 342

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
The system has two IP addresses. For simplicity, try disconnecting one of the network cables and see if you can still access the GUI. If you can't, connect the other network cable instead.

Then try importing the volume from the GUI: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_storage.html#import-volume

If the GUI initially refuses or fails to import it:
  1. import it from the shell using the -f flag
  2. export it from the shell
  3. import it from the GUI
Assuming you end up successfully importing the pool from the GUI, post a screenshot of the Storage tab in the GUI.

There's a chance this system was running ZFS on Linux rather than FreeNAS. The pool name is suggestive of Linux.

fn-quser

Dabbler
Only had a few minutes this morning to try the Import Pool and you can see I did try to create a windows share but I'm getting access denied. I can spend some more time on this tonight and the weekend.

Txs again

Attachments

• FreeNas-Import-Pool-Results.pdf
    409 KB · Views: 442

gpsguy

I'd go into the shell and have a look around. Most of us would SSH into it, but you can also get to it from the console setup menu or an item in the left pane of the webgui.

Then cd /mnt/Tux/ and do an ls -l Do you see any files? Or, switch to cd /mnt/Tux/MainDataset and have a look around.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I would say there's good news and bad news.
Good: you were able to import the pool just fine, and it appears to be healthy.
Bad: there doesn't seem to be much of anything there. With only 1.2GB used, all of it by jails, unfortunately I don't think there will be much to see when you ls -l. It doesn't even look like there's any media in Plex. My plex jail consumes 1.2GB, and my library isn't very big.
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.