Friend has given me his hard disk drives that were in his FreeNAS box!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozrica

Cadet
Sorry if this question is not relevent but:

A friend of mine has given me 5 x 500GB WD SATA hard drives and a Highpoint Rocket Raid 2220 card out of his FreeNAS box as has moved abroad.

I have plugged the drives individually into several machine but the BIOS of all of them does not recognise them.

If I plug them into the raid card I can see them and have the option of setting up an array.

I would like to use the drives individually (not raid) but does Freenas format them in a way that the BIOS does not recognise them or is it becuase they were originally raided?

Thanks in advance.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
FreeNAS formats in a way that BIOS does not recognize? That makes no sense at all.

Anywya, you're free to format the drives in any OS, in freenas you can do it with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/adaX bs=1m

ozrica

Cadet
Hi.
Thanks for the reply.
I have had them set up this morning in raid 5 and they all work fine.
The problem is I would like to use them as individual drives connected to the SATA ports on the motherboard
to upgrade a couple of computers storage.
But (now tried three boards) they are just not recognised or the board just says 'error with drive connected to secondary SATA port'!
I've tried all 5 and get the same problem with all them!
It's so odd.
Regards.

travalon

Explorer
Install freenas 8.1 on a thumbdrive, install the raid csrd snd drives in a mschine, boot the thumb, autoimport the shsres, delete them, and somewhere there will be an option to msrk the disks as new . That's what you want. Iknow Iit's a process but i had to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.