HELP !!! How best to configure my hardware....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotpoka

Cadet
Thanks for any input....

---------
Server (on Freenas 8.2)
---------
Dual Quad Xeon CPU
32GB ECC RAM
5 x 1GBe NIC
---------
Storage
---------
10 x 2TB WD RE4 drives
2 x 120GB SSD drives
1 x 74GB 10K RPM Raptor
+ my 4GB freenas O/S card
2 standard 3GB/sec controller
No raid (hardware or BIOS) is available
---------

The primary use of this system is to serve as a host for 4 clustered Virtual Machine hosts, over an iSCSI network.

- RAID 1 on the 120GB SSD for ZIL.
- 74GB Raptor for Cache
- 5 sets of 2 X 2TB striped (RAID0)
- with RaidZ2 on top of these 5 striped units

Anyone have other, better, ideas or am is my configuration even possible?

Brett Whittaker

cyberjock

Inactive Account
A ZIL will provide almost no benefit unless you plan to use a transactional database. Not to mention a failure of the ZIL will result in a loss of the pool. You obviously know this since you are doing a mirror, but why put yourself in a situation where a failure can backfire. I'm thinking for you it's a waste of money, but you can mail me the SSDs. I'll take good care of them for you. ;)

As for a ZFS cache I wouldn't go that route until you have the system up and running. With 32GB of RAM and your drive size you likely won't need a cache drive. I'd wait until you have the system up and running. If it's too slow, then consider it. But I'd bet you won't need it. Not to mention the L2ARC will consume RAM that would otherwise be used for L1ARC cache. If you later get your system built and you REALLY want a cache, I'd go with SSD before Raptor because of the low seek time.

I'm really confused as to what the heck you mean about RAIDZ2 on top of these striped units. I think your best bet for 10 drive is 10x2TB on one RAIDZ2.

Most people that think they need a ZIL or L2ARC find they're not necessary. Just trying to save you money(and an unnecessarily complex system) if I can. You can always add a L2ARC or ZIL later if you really think it's necessary.

You didn't mention specifics such as motherboard or NIC. I always recommend Intel NICs because they just work. You should verify compatibility with your hardware before your purchase. In particular, the NIC and the hard drive controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.