SOLVED Building a home NAS and 2022 shortages - Hardware advice needed

Torrone

Dabbler
For the moment it's only an install for test the drives and the whole system. The error is spamming in the terminal.
I will found a way to solve the problem later.

Whattteva

Wizard
Wow, I'm looking to build and test out a SCALE also to upgrade my aging CORE server from 2013, but those bugs sound annoying.

Torrone

Dabbler
Wow, I'm looking to build and test out a SCALE also to upgrade my aging CORE server from 2013, but those bugs sound annoying.
I think it's mostly because I have done wrong things , especially with TrueCharts dockers. I have supposed it was just a Debian distrib plus TrueNAS on top but it's more complicated.
Maybe I will do a dedicated topic about it on the software section of the forum when I will have finished testing the material and put it in production (in January).

oncdoc

Dabbler
This is a great thread. Why Intel Xeon E-2314? It seems okay, but there are versions of the e2000 family that have hyperthreading and more cores. Is it a compatibility issue? Something I should be wary of before ordering?

I was thinking of getting the Intel® Xeon® E-2378G Processor with the x12stl-f motherboard.

Etorix

Wizard
Likely because the lowest CPU in the product stack is enough for a NAS. In earlier generations, the recommendation was a Core i3.

oncdoc

Dabbler
Likely because the lowest CPU in the product stack is enough for a NAS. In earlier generations, the recommendation was a Core i3.
And of course, there is the cost issue as well. Thank you for your input

Torrone

Dabbler
And of course, there is the cost issue as well. Thank you for your input
Yes, the cost drive my choice. It's the cheapest CPU if you want the best performance of this motherboard, and it's enough for my needs.
I still have the possibility to upgrade in a few years when these CPUs will be cheaper.
X11 series offers more possibilities in the CPU side, but the X11 motherboards where as or more expensive than the X12 series in UE when I bought mine. So I preferred to take a more recent motherboard for less money even if I had to pay more for the CPU.

I paid 248€ for my E-2314 and the E-2378G cost 740€ in France.

Etorix

Wizard
Unless you're running a lot of VMs/containers in addition to NAS duties, there's just no point for the E-2378G.

Torrone

Dabbler
I finished testing my hardware.

For the hard drives, I made the S.M.A.R.T. tests conveyance, short and long, then badblocks read-write test with 4 paterns.

# badblocks -wsv -b 4096 /dev/device

I ran Memtest for a couple of days (I know many of you run it longer than that).

I replaced the 3 fans in the case with 3 with PMW (Arctic P14 PWM PST CO) and tested the CPU at full load for a while.

The system is quieter that way. But I haven't been able to experiment in all conditions yet because I finished testing the disks remotely, I'm not going home until the end of this week. The disk temperature were between 32 ans 40 °C during badblocks run, during files transfer it's now between 29°C and 36 °C.

Everything is in order. I upgraded to Bluefin, it's more complete and pleasant as an interface! The S.M.A.R.T. bug on the boot SSD is gone.

So, I started to create my datasets and to try to transfer data to it. As initially planned, I have a pool of 6 hard disks in RAIDz2 and a pool on an SSD for docker images without redundancy.

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
The system is quieter that way. But I haven't been able to experiment in all conditions yet because I finished testing the disks remotely, I'm not going home until the end of this week. The disk temperature were between 32 ans 40 °C during badblocks run, during files transfer it's now between 29°C and 36 °C.
Are you using some special thing to check temps or just smartctl?
Everything is in order. I upgraded to Bluefin, it's more complete and pleasant as an interface! The S.M.A.R.T. bug on the boot SSD is gone.
That's interesting. I personally prefer CORE UI over SCALE UI as it requires more clicks to get to the more embedded menus. I feel it's just more usable. It's annoying to see nothing but empty space on the left menu items especially because I have a large 4k monitor. I suppose the embedded menus work better for people with smaller screens. Perhaps iXSystems should make the menu arrangements a choice between CORE style and SCALE style so people can choose their preference.

Davvo

MVP
That's interesting. I personally prefer CORE UI over SCALE UI as it requires more clicks to get to the more embedded menus. I feel it's just more usable. It's annoying to see nothing but empty space on the left menu items especially because I have a large 4k monitor. I suppose the embedded menus work better for people with smaller screens. Perhaps iXSystems should make the menu arrangements a choice between CORE style and SCALE style so people can choose their preference.
The new icons are lovely though!

Whattteva

Wizard
The new icons are lovely though!
Wow, I just now noticed that the icons are different after you mentioned it. Dashboard also uses smaller less-readable fonts and there are more darker colors on dark background that lack contrast making it also harder to see. Why? These changes seem less usable and less accessible design choice. I wonder if they actually audit their web UI for ADA compliance.

Just goes to show you that I care more about usability than aesthetics... My wife gets annoyed over my lack of appreciation for aesthetics lol.

But yeah.... I still like CORE menus better.

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
But yeah.... I still like CORE menus better.
Yeah, looking at the SCALE documentation I have the impression that a few things are harder to access than in CORE (SCALE share's ACL looks strange imho). Might just be habit though.

Torrone

Dabbler
Are you using some special thing to check temps or just smartctl?
No, I just read it in the TrueNAS interface. As I understand it, it's based on smartctl.

I personally prefer CORE UI over SCALE UI as it requires more clicks to get to the more embedded menus.
I haven't tried CORE, I thought it was the same interface excepted for non implemented functions.
But I agree that it's not very accessible.

Davvo

MVP
May I suggest you joeschmuck's script? It's wonderful for keeping track of your drives.

Whattteva

Wizard
May I suggest you joeschmuck's script? It's wonderful for keeping track of your drives.
Oh, thank you for that. Much appreciated.

Whattteva

Wizard
Yeah, looking at the SCALE documentation I have the impression that a few things are harder to access than in CORE (SCALE share's ACL looks strange imho). Might just be habit though.
Services and Shell, which I tend to check somewhat often is hidden behind a menu instead of on the top menu.
Also, the menu doesn't stay open as you switch between screens, which is super annoying if you have to access multiple screens. On CORE, the extended menu would stay open so it saves you those extra clicks.

Whattteva

Wizard
I haven't tried CORE, I thought it was the same interface excepted for non implemented functions.
But I agree that it's not very accessible.
UI is similar with similar menu items, but laid out very differently.

I honestly prefer CORE more than just for aesthetics really. I just, in general, prefer my servers to be FreeBSD as, in my opinion, it's a simpler and easier system to administer (I kinda' loathe systemd). I also like the more consistent directory hierarchy system and I use VNET jails extensively.

Torrone

Dabbler
My system has been running for a month now (still on TrueNAS SCALE, upgraded to Bluefin)
Everything seems to be working fine.

I will edit my first post to close the topic and update the information.

My only remark for those who would like to buy similar hardware: beware of the cooling of the Nanoxia case, it is not that quiet and the SuperMicro X12 series does not manage the fan control via the voltage (3 pins fan).

Thanks to all for your help, I'm still available if someone has questions about my hardware!