Boot hangs on devd, autoloading module ichsmb.

djarum

Cadet
Hello,

I have been using Freenas and its successor Truenas for almost 8 years now and it has been working flawlessly.
I've just made a new build and ran into a problem which is driving me crazy. I hope you can point me in the right direction.

So, this is the hardware config for my build:
Motherboard: Asus P10S-X with chipset Intel C232
CPU: Intel core i3-9100
Memory: Kingston 32GB ECC DDR4-3200
HDD: 4 x Seagate Surveillance Skyhawk 2TB for storage pool and 2 Silicon power Ace SSD 128GB for boot-pool

I've downloaded the truenas core 13.0-U3.1 image and wrote it using BalenaEtcher to a USB stick. The installer started perfect and after install it booted.
It dit boot until the part where de devd started:

Starting devd.
Autoloading module: ichsmb
ichsmb0: <Intel Sunrise Point-H SMBus controller> port 0xf000-0xf01f mem 0xdc31c000-0xdc31c0ff irq 16 at device 31.4 on pci0
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on ichsmb0
And after that message, nothing happens anymore. The sytem hangs totally and doesn't respond to any button combination.

Possible solutions i have tried
  • Installed it on a different hard drive, SSD and also HD, as a pool but also only as 1 drive. Tried different configurations, same outcome.
  • Tried a different Truenas version, ie: Truenas 12.0 and even Freenas 11.0 (with Freenas it ended with the message: "Starting devd")
  • Tried different ethernet cables and ports (the motherboard has got two ports)
  • Updated the firmware of the motherboard to the newest version, and also downgraded the firmware to some old versions. Unfortunatly with the same outcome.
  • Tried different USB ports (USB 3.0 but also 2.0) for the installer USB.
  • Tried different USB keyboards.
  • Disconnected everything exept 1 boot drive. Installer worked fine, but same message.
  • Ubuntu, windows and FreeBSD 13.1 works perfect. Installer works and the boot sequence also, right into the respectively OS. So that rules out a deffective motherboard.
  • Installed the RAM into a different slot. Also same outcome...
The weird thing is, my other Truenas box has got almost the same configuration, but the ASUS P10S-4V/L (Chipset Intel 236) motherboard. The only difference between these motherboard is the chipset. So logical thinking brought me to believing that the C232 chipset causes a problem?

I'm kinda stuck here and after many nights searching for solutions, i am hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

Please let me know if you miss any information!
Thank you in advance!

socra

Dabbler
C232 seems to work:

Have you tried installing Ubuntu or Windows 10 on the machine to see if you can get any OS running on the machine?

djarum

Cadet
C232 seems to work:

Have you tried installing Ubuntu or Windows 10 on the machine to see if you can get any OS running on the machine?
Thanks for your reply, yes i've tried to install a different OS. Windows and ubuntu works perfect. Also Freebsd 13 installs and works.

socra

Dabbler
Damn, hopefully someone who has a similar system is willing to share experiences. (I'm in a similar position with a v12 VM that multiple people can't seem to get running with TrueNAS v13 after running v12 stable for years.)

djarum

Cadet
Damn, hopefully someone who has a similar system is willing to share experiences. (I'm in a similar position with a v12 VM that multiple people can't seem to get running with TrueNAS v13 after running v12 stable for years.)
Damn, that sucks! The trust you had building on Truenas in these years.. Hopefully it is a minor glitch?

djarum

Cadet
So, if anybody finds this topic and has the same problem:
I've managed to get closer to the problem. I've run a couple of tests with a similar motherboard, a ASUS PS10-V4/L with a G4620 CPU and I've swapped the CPU and memory between those boards and run a couple of tests.
It seems to be the memory, I've only got 1 memory bank with 32GB on it. It seems the i3-9100 CPU in combination with the ASUS PS10-X can't handle 1 memory-bank with 32GB, while the G4620 CPU on the same motherboard can handle it. So I've now configured the system with the older G4620 CPU on the ASUS PS10-X motherboard with one 32GB memory bank. Works like a charm!

I'm closing this issue for myself, the system works :)