9.3.1 Install hangs at Console Setup screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
MB: Supermicro X11SAE-F
RAM: Crucial 2x 16GB unbuffered ECC (CT7983882)
Processor: Intel Core i3-6320 3.9GHz
Boot Device: TSSTcorp SATA DVD+/-RV
CDROM install to: MyDigital Super Cache2 mSATA 24GB SSD
FREENAS version: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158

I am attempting to install FreeNAS on new server hardware. I've been running 9.3 successfully on "unblessed" hardware for a while. I wanted more RAM for running Plex and other plugins so I decided to build a new server with more appropriate hardware. Perhaps I was being naive thinking that installing on a Supermicro board with a server chipset (Intel C236 ) and ECC RAM would be a slam-dunk like my previous build.

I burned the Installer to a CD, boot my machine from the CD, get past the GRUB screen to arrive shortly at the "FreeNAS 9.3.1-Stable Console Setup" screen and there the PC hangs.

I verified my media, tried a different CD drive, tried installing to USB key instead of SSD. I tried FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 (which I had lying around), I tried FreeNAS 10.2 Alpha. Same results every time. I also tried booting with the FreeNAS 9.3.1 USB Key that is running my current production server. That leaves me at a mountroot> prompt, with the PC hung.

I'm feeling pretty stumped by this problem. Any suggestions would be welcome.

solarisguy

Guru
You have hardware that is too new...

I have no direct experience, but you might be able to proceed with the installation, after disabling all USB ports. (Unfortunately, I have no time to check whether you have a PS/2 keyboard port, and if you do not, you need to stay away from Skylake.)

Yeah, it kinda feels like I'm on the bleeding edge. Clearly I did not do enough research before choosing my components. Painful lesson for me, at least in the short term. I 'll try to get it installed on the SSD on another box and see if I can move it over to the Skylake system. Probably like a long shot...

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

So I installed FreeNAS 9.3 onto my SSD in another system, moved the SSD over to my new server and it booted OK. I have no keyboard control since USB doesn't work and my motherboard has no PS/2 port, but at first glance everything else seems to be working. This board has IPMI so I will see if I can get keyboard control through that...

Well, unfortunately IPMI does not give me keyboard control. I tried the embedded IPMI web server version as well as the Supermicro iKVM viewer. I can see the screen, but have no keyboard.

So now I'm asking myself if there are any other components that aren't working, what functionality do I lose if I don't have keyboard access to the server console, and how risky is it to run my home server in such uncharted territory?

solarisguy

Guru
Well, unfortunately IPMI does not give me keyboard control. I tried the embedded IPMI web server version as well as the Supermicro iKVM viewer. I can see the screen, but have no keyboard.

So now I'm asking myself if there are any other components that aren't working, what functionality do I lose if I don't have keyboard access to the server console, and how risky is it to run my home server in such uncharted territory?
You may want to open a separate thread, maybe someone has experience with your type of the board and IPMI

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Suggestions:
  • Use the viewer's software keyboard
  • Look for an option in BIOS like "legacy USB device support" and set it to on

PacoAko

Cadet
Hi guys. Had this problem for a while now. Finaly solved it by installing FreeNas with a DVD. FreeNas installer won't detect any USB during installation, so you have to install it on a HDD...

If anyone has a better workaround, let us know

See ya!

My build :

CPU : Skylake Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Mobo : Z170-k

I found a good workaround for the lack of USB functionality with Intel Skylake systems. I dug up an old SIIG USB 2.0 + 1394 PCI adapter that I lying around. Works like a charm. My USB keyboard now works and the system boots and runs smoothly. I have not tried installing Freenas on a usb stick with this adapter, since I'm using an SSD, but I imagine it would work.

PacoAko

Cadet
I found a good workaround for the lack of USB functionality with Intel Skylake systems. I dug up an old SIIG USB 2.0 + 1394 PCI adapter that I lying around. Works like a charm. My USB keyboard now works and the system boots and runs smoothly. I have not tried installing Freenas on a usb stick with this adapter, since I'm using an SSD, but I imagine it would work.
Nice work man!

Status
Not open for further replies.