Asus PRIME B560M-A and Intel i3 10100 can't boot Truenas install

willcycle

Dabbler
I have an Asus Prime B560M-A motherboard, Intel i3 10100 CPU, 16 GB ram and a 256 Gb Samsung NVME drive. I downloaded Truenas 13-U2 and used Rufus to create a bootable USB drive to load the OS. The machine boots to the first Truenas screen, I select boot Truenas installer (option 1), the next thing I see is a cursor in the upper left hand of the screen and then nothing. It just sits there. I am using an HDMI to DVI cable hooked to my monitor if that makes any difference. The bios is only UEFI when using integrated graphics.

Aedazan

Cadet
I am experiencing the same issue with a similar motherboard, the ASUS PRIME B660M-A D4-CSM.
I am using a lower end CPU than yours, the Intel Celeron G6900, with 32GB RAM, along with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVMe as the boot drive, x4 Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB BarraCuda as the storage and a ASUS XG-C100C-V2 10GBase-T as the NIC.

I am using a 64GB Sandisk Extreme as the Boot USB for installing TrueNAS, I can boot Ubuntu just fine but I am experiencing the same issue as willcycle.

Aedazan

Cadet
I tried using the TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U8.1 "Legacy Version of TrueNAS CORE." and it works fine!

I also tried writing the TrueNAS CORE 13 USB using both balenaEtcher-Portable-1.7.9 and rufus-3.20p which both had the issue.
I also tried several different USB drives, downgrading to 12 seems to be the only viable fix I can find at the moment.

Aedazan

Cadet
I was ultimately able to resolve the issue by disabling all the onboard devices such as serial port/audio/network and resetting all of the secure boot settings.