Boot error .. help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaPPa

Cadet
Hello guys,

I'm new here, and in the world of NAS-systems. So any kind of help is welcome :smile:

So I downloaded the latest version of FreeNAS x86 and installed it successfully on a 2GB flash-drive. But when I boot my system in get the following error.

error 1 lba 1476144
error 1 lba 1476144
No /boot/loader

FreeNAS/x86 boot
Default: 0:fd(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
error 1 lba 1476144
No /boot/kernel/kernel

FreeNAS/x86 boot
boot:

Anyone an idea? Thanks for the help!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Try a bigger memory stick.

From the manual:

NOTE: at this time, the installer does not check the size of the install media before attempting an
installation. A 2 GB device is required, but the install will appear to complete successfully on smaller
devices, only to fail at boot. If using a USB thumb drive, a 4 GB drive is recommended as many 2 GB
thumb drives have a smaller capacity which will result in a seemingly successful installation that fails
to boot.

The manual is your friend.

Edit: Are you planning to use ZFS?

JaPPa

Cadet
In this case, you are my friend. Ganna try it with a 8GB CompactFlash now. Keep you posted.

tingo

Contributor
Either both your usb sticks are broken (unlikely), or you did something wrong when writing the image to the usb stick - both times.
Explain how you installed it; from what os, using which tool?
If you used a command-line tool, tell us which command line you used.

JaPPa

Cadet
I burnt the .ISO file on CDROM with OSX Mountain Lion, using disc utility.

tingo

Contributor
Ok. And how did you get it installed on the usb sticks then?
(Why did you not simply write the image directly to a usb stick, why take the extra step with a CD?)

Stephens

Patron
I actually use the CD method as well. I burn the CD, boot it, then use that to create a USB stick. Probably because the first time I tried burning directly to a stick, it didn't work. But there were likely 2 reasons for that.

1) I was using a 2GB stick
2) I had it plugged into a USB 3.0 slot

But there's nothing inherently wrong with burning the CD, booting it, then letting the FreeNAS process create your bootable USB flash drive.

JaPPa

Cadet
I inserted the CDROM and booted with it. Running the install wizard and chosen the USB device to install on. Rebooted after installation, without the CDROM, and the error popped-up.

The reason why i used a CDROM, I have plenty of them, so why not use it?:P

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Maybe you should do a checksum of the ISO against the file you downloaded. Perhaps the downloaded ISO file is corrupt.

JaPPa

Cadet
Booted the same CF on a other PC, and is booting. So the problem is hardware related.. still don't have clue what may be de cause of this..

JaPPa

Cadet
Just booted on a (newer) system. And worked perfectly. Problem is hardware related. Don't know why dough,.,

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Common things that sometimes work:

1. Check your BIOS for updates.
2. Try disabling any hardware you won't be using in FreeNAS.
3. Run a RAM test. I doubt this is your problem though since your system works fine otherwise.

JaPPa

Cadet
BIOS is up-to-date. Think my FreeNAS journey with this system has come to an end. Thanks for the support.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you plugging into a USB3 port? If so, move to a USB2 port and try again.

You didn't mention the hardware you are running this on but if you are using x86 (32-bit) version you must have some old CPU. Please list your hardware, maybe we can help.

Juan Carlos

Cadet
The problem could be solved in the bios!

Hello guys,

I'm new here, and in the world of NAS-systems. So any kind of help is welcome :smile:

So I downloaded the latest version of FreeNAS x86 and installed it successfully on a 2GB flash-drive. But when I boot my system in get the following error.

error 1 lba 1476144
error 1 lba 1476144
No /boot/loader

FreeNAS/x86 boot
boot:
error 1 lba 1476144
No /boot/kernel/kernel

FreeNAS/x86 boot
boot:

Anyone an idea? Thanks for the help!

Hello, i had this problem and i solved by changing the type of emulation of the usb on the bios... it has to be a HDD emulation, maybe you have the usb on the "CDROM" or "automatic" setting...

I hope this can help...

Status
Not open for further replies.