Booting from SD card on 32-bit PC fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar

Cadet
Hello,

I installed FreeNAS on a 4GB SD card and tried to boot from the card. However, I get the following error at boot-up:

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
boot: No /boot/kernel/kernel

Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong and how I can fix it?

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. because you are supposed to use a USB stick. SD cards are NOT USB sticks, even when used in a USB converter.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah... CF cards internally work alot different than SD cards. CF provide decent throughput while SD cards are more like bursts.

Amar

Cadet
Again, the error I am seeing is on a USB drive. So can we please focus on that.

gpsguy

Instead of following some random instructions, download the official guide, a link to it is on the same page as the downloads.

Try reinstalling it again. You may need to run Active@ KillDisk first.

Knowltey

Patron
SD Cards are a very different beast from USB drives. Install on a USB drive and see if that works better for you.

Amar

Cadet
Ok, I am going to post again because the initial mistake on my part indicating I was using an SD card (it is actually USB) is generating a lot of responses unrelated to the problem I actually have. Sorry for causing confusion!

Knowltey

Patron
Ok, I am going to post again because the initial mistake on my part indicating I was using an SD card (it is actually USB) is generating a lot of responses unrelated to the problem I actually have. Sorry for causing confusion!

Even if it's an SD Card through an SD to USB adapter it's still an SD card in terms of how it operates.

Amar

Cadet
Again, it is NOT an SD card; it is a regular USB stick. I made a mistake in my original post.

gpsguy

My reply to you was based on you using a USB flash drive.

Sent from my phone

Knowltey

Patron
Also, go ahead and give the optical media installation method a shot. I have run into a computer in the past that absolutely would not play with a drive that was imaged using the .xz file for whatever reason, but was perfectly fine if I used the machine itself and the DVD installer to install FreeNAS to the USB media. Perhaps your machine for whatever reason could be doing this same behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.