Boot drive mirror replication question

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Good morning,

As you may know, I have decided to upgrade my home system to a X10SDV-7TP4F motherboard that features two SATADOM connectors. I currently possess the OEM-supplied SATADOM (32GB?) that came with my Mini XL as well as two new 64GB Supermicro SATADOMs that I would like to use with the new board as a mirrored boot pool.

If I read the instructions regarding boot device mirror process correctly, could the process be as simple as:
  1. With machine off, install OEM 32GB module and 64GB module in SATADOM Slots.
  2. Boot into BIOS setup, set BIOS to boot from 32GB module.
  3. Boot system, wait for FreeNAS to launch, then use FreeNAS to "attach" 64 GB module to boot pool as a mirror
  4. Wait for the OEM module to be cloned to the 64GB module (how to track progress?)
  5. "Detach" the 32GB module via FreeNAS UI, shut down the system
  6. Physically remove the 32GB Module from the motherboard.
  7. Physically transfer mirrored 64GB module to previously-occupied SATADOM slot (so BIOS is happy).
  8. Install 2nd new 64GB SATADOM in empty SATADOM slot
  9. Reboot, use FreeNAS to attach the 2nd 64GB SATADOM to make a mirrored 64GB boot pool?
Apologies if this was obvious but I'd rather be really careful with my new board. Many thanks to all, Constantin

EDITED (with thanks!) regarding @PhiloEpisteme's excellent point

Last edited:
I haven't done the above steps but they seem reasonable, I'm interested to see what other folks think. I would guess that you'd also have to tell your board's bios to boot from the other SATADOM if you haven't already done so?

Alternatively, you could make a backup of your config (as well as any encryption keys you may have in use) and do a fresh install on both 64GB SATADOMs. Upload your config and encryption keys and you should be all set.

I'm interested to see what other folks suggest and how this turns out. Report back!

Physically transfer mirrored 64GB module to previously-occupied SATADOM slot (so BIOS is happy).
I suspect that you may need to set the resilvered 64GB module as your boot device in your bios rather than move module. Anyway, the point is the same. In order to boot into FreeNAS you'll need your bios looking to a bootable FreeNAS device. Some older posts suggest that you may need to install GRUB on the new module.

Evertb1

Guru
Alternatively, you could make a backup of your config (
Always make a backup of your config with every important change. It costs nothing and might save the show.

Last edited:
Always make a backup of your config with every important change. It cost nothing and might save the show.
Big +1 to that.

Evertb1

Guru
do a fresh install on both 64GB SATADOMs. Upload your config and encryption keys and you should be all set.
That's the way I would do it. Reinstalling FreeNAS and uploading the saved config can be done in 20 minutes or so.