Satadom as boot drive still applicable to Scale?

davidiamyou

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I was planning my new NAS build and am wondering if Satadom drives are still good to be used as boot drives under Truenas Scale?

As I understand, the key to satadom longevity is that it is not written to too often. This is especially important considering I am most likely to get second hand drives.

With Truenas core, I know the boot drives are not written to frequently, is that still the case with Truenas Scale?

If so, what size do you recommend. Is 32gb ones sufficient?

Thank you all.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Generally they seem to work OK. But like all small form-factor flash, the key will be finding ones which have decent write-endurance. Even on CORE today we need to allow for some writes to the boot device semi frequently, so always good to get ones which will hold up long term.

32G should be fine size, 64G is always better, just allowing you more room for rollback boot-environments.

davidiamyou

Cadet
Generally they seem to work OK. But like all small form-factor flash, the key will be finding ones which have decent write-endurance. Even on CORE today we need to allow for some writes to the boot device semi frequently, so always good to get ones which will hold up long term.

32G should be fine size, 64G is always better, just allowing you more room for rollback boot-environments.
Thanks Kris! I guess I need to get more than a pair in case the second hand gear bail out on me.