2nd Sata DOM or move to 2 x 2.5" SSD?

rmccullough

Patron
Supermicro 2U (CSE-826A-R1200LPB) 12x 3.5" Drive Bays
Motherboard: Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+

I have a single 32gb SuperMicro SATADOM as my boot drive. I would like to add boot drive redundancy.

I did review the threads Boot device Supermicro SATADOM or SATA SSD 2.5 and SATADOM and FreeNAS.

I think this answers my question that I would like to go with a 2nd SATADOM as I don't have internal 2.5" bays (at least not that I am aware of). What I don't know for certain is if I have a 2nd power connector available next to one of the SATA ports on this motherboard. While I know I could answer this myself, I would rather not shut down my system, crawl into my crawl space, and open the case to look. Does someone happen to know off the top of their head if my board has a 2nd power connector?

If not, what other options am I look at? Since I don't have internal 2.5" bays and don't want to use my SAS backplane bays, am I stuck with USB storage?

Is it a fools errand to have the SATADOM be primary storage and a USB stick as my backup boot device?

Lengstrom

Cadet
most of the Supermicro boards only have 1 yellow SATADOM port. otherwise you need the 5V adapter, witch not all boards support
general rule of thumb. X10 series motherboards and newer have both.

hope that helps.

Yorick

Wizard
USB backup drive does not seem like a great idea.

What are you solving for? A single satadom or single ssd boot drive will last longer than the mechanical drives. If it dies before you stop using the server - that’s not a given - you can install TrueNAS from scratch and restore a configuration backup.

rienk.dejong

Cadet
If its just a home server, not a business production server. Two new 2.5" SSDs might be cheaper than an additional SATA-DOM.
And If you have some free space in the system you could use some double sided tape to mount them.
It's not the cleanest solution, but for a home server it might be acceptable.

Bozon

Contributor
Does someone make a splitter cable for the SATA Dom power outlet? This seems like a useful thing. I can’t imagine that a SATA DOM uses enough power to overwhelm this power port.

Evertb1

Guru
And If you have some free space in the system you could use some double sided tape to mount them.
I have done just that for my bootdrive in my backup server and to me it's a good solution. And not even bad looking (though I don't look much inside the case :) ).

rmccullough

Patron
I may investigate the double-sided tape option.

How much risk is there if I don't have a mirror boot drive? If the SATADOM fails, can I installed FreeNAS on a thumbdrive, boot to it, and load my config?

How often should I be backing up my config? I typically only do this when updating FreeNAS (e.g. 11.2-u7 to 11.2-u8).

Yorick

Wizard
Back your config up daily. There are some good scripts available to do that. Someone who has a script repository chime in - I'll just drop these two in a temp repository. https://github.com/thorsteneb/FreeNAS-scripts/blob/master/README.md

Yes, you can just reinstall FreeNAS, restore config, and you'll be back up. Note these scripts don't back up secret key: If you are using encrypted pools you'll need that, as well.

rmccullough

Patron
I don't think I setup encrypted pools, so should be good. Where does this backup your config to? I would need to make sure it is accessible right?

Yorick

Wizard
It backs it up into your dataset, you set the location inside the script.
You can then either:
- Sync it to the cloud, this is what I do
- Grab the config backup after zfs pool import when you need to reinstall

Either way works.

Do edit these scripts, they absolutely require the variables to be set right.

Evertb1

Guru
- Sync it to the cloud, this is what I do
- Grab the config backup after zfs pool import when you need to reinstall
Like @Yorick I sync my config backups to the cloud. I prefer it to save them outside my ZFS pool.
By the way: In the past I have lost a couple of single USB sticks I used as boot device, before I had enough of that and used an SSD. Reinstalling FreeNAS and loading the config file is realy, realy easy and fast.