SOLVED Best disk configuration (RAID) for 4 HD x 4TB each (TrueNAS Core 13)

basnek

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
I have searched previously but I have not found any updated post about it.
What is the most recommended if I have 4 hard drives of 4TB each?

I have read something above that you can have a RAID5 in which I would have approximately 12TB left or two RAID1 and add them which would leave me with 8TB.

My priority is the security of not losing data due to hardware failure.

Recommendations? and the installation in this regard where I can see more information for the cases that you recommend...
Thank you so much

TreueNAS-13.0-U5.3
SuperMicro X8DTL-3
Processor (CPU) - 2 x Intel Xeon CPU E5620 @2.40GHz
Threads: 16
24 GB RAM
4 HD x 4TB

Attachments

• IMG_20231108_201512.jpg
    IMG_20231108_201512.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 477

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
There is no RAID5 in ZFS. You might want to read the ZFS Primer first:

For a general bulk data store RAIDZ2 is probably the best option in terms of data safety. For a bit higher performance but a little less safety two mirror pairs are also a common setup. Both will deliver half of the storage for you to use, i.e. 8 TB.

Last edited:

basnek

Dabbler
@Patrick M. Hausen Exactly, sorry for my mistake. Thanks for your opinion. Could you tell me some url to be able to apply the second case which I understand is a raid1+0 ? Thx & Best Regards

chuck32

Guru
Maybe this will get you started.

Otherwise read the general documentation. You want a pool with 2 vdevs where each vdev is a mirror.

basnek

Dabbler
@chuck32 Great with your link you clarify me enough I am a novice in this and to see that it can generate everything from the web interface and gives me clues. It is that I had doubt if I should do it by console or some other way very pro :) In fact that of VDEVS I had read it but I have no idea what it is I should read a little about it since in my old FreeNas 10 that did not exist I think :) Thank you very much

Davvo

MVP
I suggest you reading the following resources:

With 4 drives, unless you want a 4-way mirror, the best configuration is a RAIDZ2 VDEV composed of all the 4 drives since it gives you better resiliency than 2 VDEVS in a 2-way mirror configuration each.

basnek

Dabbler
@Davvo And in that configuration you mention, if any of the disks fail, what would happen? Would I have data loss? Excuse my ignorance, I have only worked with RAID1 on other servers and it saved me when a disk died to be able to change it and not lose anything having a RAID 1 of 2 disks. And again on a larger server I had a RAID5 with Novell and one died. disk and hot I was able to change one for the other without losing anything. But they were other times, other years. This catches me as a total newbie.

Davvo

MVP
@Davvo And in that configuration you mention, if any of the disks fail, what would happen? Would I have data loss?
With a RAIDZ2 configuration you need 3 drives to fail in order to experience data loss.

basnek

Dabbler
@Davvo
I have read one of the pdfs you recommended, "Introduction to ZFS 2019-03 Edition Revision 1d) Maintained by Ericloewe from the FreeNAS forums" and it was very enlightening.
Now I'll have to learn about VDEV. And I appreciate your explanation about RAIDZ2, which I understand is what you recommend.

Davvo

MVP
If you want to learn more about TrueNas in general, in my signature you can find more links to the resource section of this forum.

basnek

Dabbler
My TrueNAS working Thx to all!

Attachments

• TrueNAS - 192.168.1.46 - Google Chrome_231112210556.png
    TrueNAS - 192.168.1.46 - Google Chrome_231112210556.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 477