6 x 2TB or 4 x 4TB in raidz2 considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

daywiss

Cadet
So ive been doing a lot of research on NAS and plan on going with freenas for my build. Most questions i've been able to answer with research, but I wasnt sure about this one on hard drive configuration.

lets say for simplicity that 2TB drives are 100$ and 4TB drives are 175$ and that I have 6 sata ports. You would think its most cost effective to go with the 4TB drives for pure TB/$. But from what I understand about raidz2, this is not the case.

6x2TB = 600$ for 12TB. In raidz2: 8TB available. 75$/available TB
4x4TB = 700$ for 16TB. In raidz2: 8TB available. 87.5$/available TB

You can see that the 4TB drives are actually less cost effective in this configuration.

Other considerations:
A 4 drives in z2 performs worse than 6 (not that i am overly concerned with speed), according to this research: https://calomel.org/zfs_raid_speed_capacity.html

You could say the advantage of going with 4x4 is that you could add 2 more drives eventually. But two drives would most likely be added mirrored(if you are concerned about safety), and this would actually reduce the safety of your z2 data if added to the pool, which i don't want to do. It would require another pool which is not that attractive.

Another disadvantage of 4x4 is if you do lose a drive, replacing 4TB drives is more expensive than a 2tb drive.

The only real advantage I see to a 4x4 config is the simplicity of having less drives, more chassis/board and powersupply options. And I guess if you dont want to run z2, you have more space.

My conclusions seem to go against common wisdom of the freenas forums, am i missing something here?

tl/dr
2tb drives seem more cost effective(among other reasons) for z2 pool than 4tb drives, even when 4tb drives are significantly discounted.

joeschmuck

Old Man
My conclusions seem to go against common wisdom of the freenas forums, am i missing something here.

Not sure what common wisdom you are referring to but the six 2TB drives as a Z2 configuration would be the better choice in my opinion. One of the other negatives about having a larger and fewer drives is the resilvering time which is a key factor in getting your pool healthy again.

daywiss

Cadet
Thanks man. I did now know that about resilvering.

The common wisdom i was referring to was cyberjocks post here:

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/so-you-want-some-hardware-suggestions.12276/

Of course, you want to use cheap hard drives. But consider that you're building a system for hundreds of dollars. Add up the total cost of the system you propose with those "cheap" 2TB or 3TB drives, then divide by the number of usable TB you get. Then add up the total cost of a system built with 4TB drives, divide again. Shocked? The 4TB is often the less expensive choice per delivered TB, despite the drives being a bit of a price premium.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually, i think that quote was from jgreco. :)

Seriously, a 6 disk RAIDZ2 is a VERY good setup. If I friend wanted 8TB of storage I'd do exactly what you are doing.

Mguilicutty

Explorer
Very happy with my 6 disk RAIDZ2 setup. Coming from previous experience with Windows software raid, Linux software raid and many Adaptec / LSI / Areca / 3ware raid setups I'm really impressed with the speed, cost and reliability of ZFS and FreeNAS.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The quoted text instructs you to add in the overall cost of the system itself in addition to the cost of the drives. There's a very good reason for that; your overall costs for the system are for the WHOLE THING. So if you go 6 x 4TB drives and the system costs $800 and the drives cost $1050, that's $1850 - for 16TB usable space, or $115/TB. If you go 4 x 4TB, then cost is $1500 for 8TB usable, or $185/TB. If you go 6 x 2TB, then cost is $1400 for 8TB usable, or $175/TB.

This of course assumes that the base system costs $800; yours will be different. However, the point is that the invariant portion of the cost that is attributable to the base system can make the price-per-TB favorable for premium-priced high capacity drives, at least when the premium isn't extreme and the number is under maybe a dozen or two.

Further, if you are spinning lower-capacity drives like 2TB spinners, you are using more energy per TB.

Now, honestly, if there's no chance you will ever need more than 8TB you absolutely have my blessing to save your cash and get the 2TB drives... smart is all about seeing the big picture, and buying capacity you do not need is not smart. But if you're going to need it next year, or the year after, now may still be the best time to get it, because to replace those 2TB drives will mean buying a new set of 4TB drives at that time, which is totally inefficient from a capex point of view.

Satam

Dabbler
But then again, unused space is wasted money considering prices for hard drives will fall over time. So you would have to divide the overall cost by the amount of TB that you're actually going to use. Or even better consider the difference between the price of 4TB drives now and 4TB drives in the future, or rather the difference between $/TB of 4x4TB drives today and whatever $/TB a future drive configuration might cost. It's just that easy!:D

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That's what I was talking about in the last sentence. From a capex point of view:

The price differential between 2TB and 4TB right now is about $80. So you can save yourself 6 * $80 = $480 right now getting the 2TB drives. BUT! Then! In two years you will need to buy six new 4TB drives, probably at a cost of around $120 each, 6 * $120 = $720. This means you've wasted $240 and you end up with half a dozen 2TB drives that aren't really useful for anything anymore.

Replacing drives in the future only results in a savings if the cost on the future drives is less than the differential between the smaller drive and larger drive now, which has historically never been the case in a two to three year timeframe, except maybe in some edge cases. This *has* been the case for SSD's however, so the smart money is still on waiting to go SSD where you can afford to do so.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Oh how I'd love a SSD NAS system. It will probably be another 10 years before I could afford it but by that time I'll be 62 years of age and maybe not worried about how a NAS figures into my life but more how retirement money needs to be saved for really important stuff like routine bills and food.

daywiss

Cadet
Thanks for the advice guys, I spent a lot of time doing research mainly from the posts in this forum. Cyberjock and jgrecos posts have been invaluable to me. I ended up building my NAS with 6 3tb drives, which i got an awesome deal for (90$ each) and so far its working great. I went with raidz2 with encryption and have just under 11tb available.

Specs:
6 x 3tb WD mainstream hdds (rebranded green drives modded with wdidle3)
2 x 8 gb kingston ecc ram
intel core i3 4130t
asrock e3c244d21 mini-itx board
seasonic 360 gold psu (need 2 x 4pin to sata power adaptors and used every connector)
white fractal node 304 case
cp850pfclcd cyberpower 850 ups

total cost with shipping: 1274.50$

Status
Not open for further replies.