Back-Up Options for Windows Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjarobert

Dabbler
I'm trying to decide on options for backing up my computer to my FreeNAS server. My computer is a Windows 7 machine. I plan on only backing up data (not operating system, etc.). Specifically, the data are digital images (raw camera files, jpg, etc), Lightroom files, and video files (couple hundred MB at the most).

My original thought was to share a dataset on the server, then point the Windows back-up utility at the networked shared folder. (not even sure if it's possible)

While looking up other options, I came across rsync, which seems to be better suited for network usage. Looks complicated, but DeltaCopy seems to simplify some things. In the process of installing it now.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts/recommendations for my use case while going through the installation process. Thanks!

gpsguy

MS has several free utilities: SyncToy, Robocopy (powerful command line utility), and Richcopy (similar to Robocopy, but uses a GUI). I've used Robocopy in the past.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
rsync is a bad way to backup data from Windows. rsync is pretty slow, the files must be static for the destination file to not be corrupt, etc.

In all seriousness, why not just store the files themselves on the server? I literally have nothing but applications on my desktops/laptops and I store everything on my server.

Things that I want to have local copies of I use Owncloud (dropbox works too).

ninjarobert

Dabbler
rsync is a bad way to backup data from Windows. rsync is pretty slow, the files must be static for the destination file to not be corrupt, etc.

In all seriousness, why not just store the files themselves on the server? I literally have nothing but applications on my desktops/laptops and I store everything on my server.

Things that I want to have local copies of I use Owncloud (dropbox works too).

I considered that, but would like the data duplication for peace of mind-- would dread losing a client's wedding photos. Eek!
MS has several free utilities: SyncToy, Robocopy (powerful command line utility), and Richcopy (similar to Robocopy, but uses a GUI). I've used Robocopy in the past.

SyncToy scared me off because it hasn't been updated since 2009. LOL. Is Robocopy smart enough to update only files that have changed?

My files don't change too often. Ideally, I need something that copies files over, then once a week or so, it copies over new files or files that have changed since the last copy.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Have you looked into crashplan?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok.. so use a dataset with daily snapshots. If you lose something (or corrupt something) you just go to the previous snapshot and grab it again.

Owncloud seems like the best fit for your "working" data though. You update a file and a copy appears on the server seconds later.

If you would like multi copies across a few computers, BitTorrent Sync may be something to look into.

mjws00

Guru
SyncBack and Create Synchronicity both do a nice job.

Mlovelace

Guru
I'm trying to decide on options for backing up my computer to my FreeNAS server. My computer is a Windows 7 machine. I plan on only backing up data (not operating system, etc.). Specifically, the data are digital images (raw camera files, jpg, etc), Lightroom files, and video files (couple hundred MB at the most).

My original thought was to share a dataset on the server, then point the Windows back-up utility at the networked shared folder. (not even sure if it's possible)

While looking up other options, I came across rsync, which seems to be better suited for network usage. Looks complicated, but DeltaCopy seems to simplify some things. In the process of installing it now.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts/recommendations for my use case while going through the installation process. Thanks!
Robocopy is the way to go.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you want something simple to just duplicate files it's hard to beat Dsyncronize.

ninjarobert

Dabbler
Thanks for all of the great feedback! Got a lot of researching to do. I must say the idea of a local cloud (owncloud) is very appealing. Seems to fit my needs perfectly assuming it automatically syncs entire directories.

joeschmuck

Old Man
SyncToy 2.1 works great and I use it at work to synchronize data between my company laptop and the company server VM I have. The only downside I see is the small synctoy dat files placed in the directories because if you delete those then you setup is broken. I also use SyncToy at home to copy family photos to my wifes laptop periodically this way she can use those photos, delete them, do whatever she wants without harming the original copy. Of course I create a few DVDs of those photos several times a year because acts of nature could destroy the computers. One other downside to Synctoy is you have to manually setup the automation, there is no GUI build in to Synctoy.

I have used Robocopy a very long time ago and I didn't like it but maybe it's changed. I might give it another chance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'll add a vote for SyncToy. It works nicely - a lack of updates for something like this isn't really problematic. I doubt rsync gets frequent updates these days.

ninjarobert

Dabbler
Wow... SyncToy is amazingly simple! Thanks for the tips. Going to stick with this and set-up regular snapshots.

P.S. For anyone interested in ownCloud, this video tutorial is fantastic.

Z300M

Guru

I use Macrium Reflect (paid version) to create disk images of my Win7 machine on the FreeNAS machine.

marcevan

Patron
I don't backup my Win PCs; all the data I need backed up (docs, photos, music, vids, etc) are on freenas and I use crashplan on a Win8.1 PC with symlinks to the freenas media for backups.

My HTPC has nothing on it but for a few tweak programs (Mychannellogos, media browser 2.6, etc) and the program installers and product keys are on freenas.

diedrichg

Wizard
If you would like multi copies across a few computers, BitTorrent Sync may be something to look into.
BTSync or Syncthing are my suggestions because they are both cross-platform and have mobile device apps for photo uploading. I have used both and I have settled on BTSync and I love it.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Wow... SyncToy is amazingly simple! Thanks for the tips. Going to stick with this and set-up regular snapshots.

P.S. For anyone interested in ownCloud, this video tutorial is fantastic.

I've found Owncloud to be temperamental at best. It chokes on large amounts of files, specifically pictures. I tried 3 different install methods including the one you linked to and each one puked all over itself even trying a small number of mixed file types. It's too bad because it has some really cool features that I would have liked to explore.

BTSync or Syncthing are my suggestions because they are both cross-platform and have mobile device apps for photo uploading. I have used both and I have settled on BTSync and I love it.

BTSync is amazing. The only thing I would like different is if it offered a file explorer in the web UI so you could see what each shared directory contains.

Status
Not open for further replies.