Another Plex + FileStorage Build Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvsjr

Guru
Not as configured. The CPU has no GPU capability. You'll need to either go to a CPU with integrated graphics, or add a cheap graphics card. You could also select a motherboard with IPMI, which would let you get console access via a web browser.

Chuck Remes

Contributor
Your chosen board has IPMI built-in. Use that for remote accessing your system, handling BIOS config, etc. It defaults to DHCP upon boot so if your local router is configured to serve DHCP then you'll be able to lookup the IP on the router and login to your server to finish configuration.

Avoid "spending" the watts for a graphics card (or more expensive CPU) and use IPMI. My 2 cents...

Ryan Allen

Explorer
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I had plans on using IPMI but I just haven't learned how to use it yet. That was going to be a later project.
I know I have a server boards lined up so I'm still on the fence that the built in VGA may work with my setup. I know I don't want to add a Graphics card so that is off the table.

Is using the IPMI option just like having a monitor hooked up to watch startup and bios and FreeNAS install?

Ryan Allen

Explorer
GOT IT!! I found this thread that talks ALL about my X11SSH-F!

Edit: I can run with no graphics needed on the X11SSH-F using the E3-1230 V5!

Cicatrize

Explorer
GOT IT!! I found this thread that talks ALL about my X11SSH-F!

Edit: I can run with no graphics needed on the X11SSH-F using the E3-1230 V5!
Yep! That board has integrated graphics too (according to Supermicro website), so you can run it with a monitor if you'd like. (I personally prefer to do this the first time the system is set up, then go headless). IPMI is stupid easy to use, and they even have an Android app (probably for iOS too, but I don't know).

I do like the progression of upgrades in parts throughout this thread, lol. :)

The 1230 is much more of a beast than the 1220, so good on ya to get that. That being said, IMO, the best value is the 1240, if you can find it for $20 more, like I did. They're usually $30-$40 more. It's only 100MHz difference (I think), but worth it for $20. NOT a huge deal, but my two cents.

Ryan Allen

Explorer
Thanks for the reply! Glad to get a bit more confirmation on that too! I plan on using the VGA for startup!
I'll keep in my on the 1240.. but ya.. my parts just kept getting more and more!! LOL!!
I'll make sure to look up the IPMI for the iOS too! THANKS!

Cicatrize

Explorer
Hello ALL! So I have done more thinking and searching and I came up with, what I think at least, my FINAL build list. Would you guys mind taking a look and let me know your thoughts?
ONE Question I still KINDA have.. I was going to get the E3-1225 V5 b/c it has Integrated Graphics. My MoBo has VGA Out. Sooo.. will my setup using the E3-1230 V5 w/ no integrated graphics still allow me to hook into the VGA and use a monitor for install and BIOS changes? I'm PRETTY sure i'm good, I just wanted to make sure that the MoBo has some kind of cheap graphics built in so my setup will work. After install, I'm running headless.
That motherboard has IPMI, which allows the graphics output to be viewed on another computer, either by logging in to the IPMI using a web browser, or by using the IPMI View application. Using IPMI, you can view the boot up, POST, get into the BIOS, etc. There is no need to connect a monitor, keyboard, etc.

Ryan Allen

Explorer
Well, it's been a while and I have made some changes/improvements to my build. I have listened to everyone and continued my Homework... I hope it has payed off. I'm still REALLY new to all this but I have been using an old Dell (using ALL the wrong parts) to play with and learn on... by the end of next month, I plan on putting the rest of my build together and begin burning it in!

If you all don't mind, let me know if you guys see anything that doesn't look quite right.... I have all my info in my Signature now as well, it has all the links to where I got/will be getting the parts.

OS: FreeNAS 10 Stable (I HOPE IT'S OUT BY THEN o_O.. JUST a few more days is says!!)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Black Window High-Airflow ATX Midtower Computer Case
Mobo: Supermicro X11SSH-F
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 SkyLake 3.4 GHz, LGA 1151, 80W
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-U12S
Memory: 2pcs, 32GB Total) SAMSUNG M391A2K43BB1-CPB Samsung, DDR4-2133, ECC, 16GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 220-G2-0550-Y1, 80+ GOLD
Boot Drive: ADATA Premier SP600 32GB 2.5 Inch SATA III SSD
Storage: 6pcs, 18TB Total, RaidZ2) WD30EFRX - WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Disk Drive
Fan setup: FAN1 Header = CPU Fan; FANA Header = Evercool Model EC-DF001 Splitter plugged into (3) Silent Series R2 fans, 3 Pin & (1) NF-A14 PWM *The PWM fan sends back the tach speed* (1 in top @ back as OUT, 1 in back @ top as OUT, 2 in front @ bottom as IN *NF-A14 is one of them*
Cat6 in LAGG: Cable Matters 160021 5-Feet Cat6 Snagless
Switch: NONE (Will purchase Netgear GS108T-200 - ProSAFE 8-Port Gigabit Smart Managed Switch)
Router/Modem: Comcast Supplied (Will set up a pfSense Router/Firewall after the NAS is done)
NIC in pfSense: Intel PRO/1000 Dual Port Server Adapter C Bulk Pack
Access Point: Comcast Supplied (Will purchase UAP-AC-PRO Soon)
UPS: An old Cyberpower that I modded with a bigger set of batteries (Will purchase new one soon w/ usb comm)

I also plan on making a really detailed :rolleyes:"How-To":oops: showing my FULL Start-To-Finish Guide that I will try and follow. I hope to have it include all my burn in programs and commands and sequence i followed to get everything done correctly. After the setup, I'll keep the guide going with setting up my VERY few scripts, datasets, shares, jails, etc....
I am a little worried that I will have a BIG learning curve going from 9.10 to 10.0 though........ ;)We will see...

ANYWAY.. let me know your thoughts! Thanks guys!:)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Well, it's been a while and I have made some changes/improvements to my build. I have listened to everyone and continued my Homework... I hope it has payed off. I'm still REALLY new to all this but I have been using an old Dell (using ALL the wrong parts) to play with and learn on... by the end of next month, I plan on putting the rest of my build together and begin burning it in!

If you all don't mind, let me know if you guys see anything that doesn't look quite right.... I have all my info in my Signature now as well, it has all the links to where I got/will be getting the parts.

OS: FreeNAS 10 Stable (I HOPE IT'S OUT BY THEN o_O.. JUST a few more days is says!!)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Black Window High-Airflow ATX Midtower Computer Case
Mobo: Supermicro X11SSH-F
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 SkyLake 3.4 GHz, LGA 1151, 80W
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-U12S
Memory: 2pcs, 32GB Total) SAMSUNG M391A2K43BB1-CPB Samsung, DDR4-2133, ECC, 16GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 220-G2-0550-Y1, 80+ GOLD
Boot Drive: ADATA Premier SP600 32GB 2.5 Inch SATA III SSD
Storage: 6pcs, 18TB Total, RaidZ2) WD30EFRX - WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Disk Drive
Fan setup: FAN1 Header = CPU Fan; FANA Header = Evercool Model EC-DF001 Splitter plugged into (3) Silent Series R2 fans, 3 Pin & (1) NF-A14 PWM *The PWM fan sends back the tach speed* (1 in top @ back as OUT, 1 in back @ top as OUT, 2 in front @ bottom as IN *NF-A14 is one of them*
Cat6 in LAGG: Cable Matters 160021 5-Feet Cat6 Snagless
Switch: NONE (Will purchase Netgear GS108T-200 - ProSAFE 8-Port Gigabit Smart Managed Switch)
Router/Modem: Comcast Supplied (Will set up a pfSense Router/Firewall after the NAS is done)
NIC in pfSense: Intel PRO/1000 Dual Port Server Adapter C Bulk Pack
Access Point: Comcast Supplied (Will purchase UAP-AC-PRO Soon)
UPS: An old Cyberpower that I modded with a bigger set of batteries (Will purchase new one soon w/ usb comm)

I also plan on making a really detailed :rolleyes:"How-To":oops: showing my FULL Start-To-Finish Guide that I will try and follow. I hope to have it include all my burn in programs and commands and sequence i followed to get everything done correctly. After the setup, I'll keep the guide going with setting up my VERY few scripts, datasets, shares, jails, etc....
I am a little worried that I will have a BIG learning curve going from 9.10 to 10.0 though........ ;)We will see...

ANYWAY.. let me know your thoughts! Thanks guys!:)
Looks pretty good. Couple comments, freenas 10 will probably not be ready when you build this. Unless you build it in 8 months. Your fan setup seems funky. The CPU temp is not a good way to cool hdd's. The HDD fans should be in their own headers.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ryan Allen

Explorer
Looks pretty good. Couple comments, freenas 10 will probably not be ready when you build this. Unless you build it in 8 months. Your fan setup seems funky. The CPU temp is not a good way to cool hdd's. The HDD fans should be in their own headers.

Thanks for looking it over...
I have done research (HERE) and (HERE).. and still am doing more/looking for the best way... and FANA is for "Additional Cards - Changes based on Case Temp" and FAN1 thru FAN4 are for "CPU - Changes based on CPU Temp".

By all means.. I would LOVE to just plug these into the MB like I was Originally planning until I learned that the Headers were not monitoring in the way I was thinking.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks for looking it over...
I have done research (HERE) and (HERE).. and still am doing more/looking for the best way... and FANA is for "Additional Cards - Changes based on Case Temp" and FAN1 thru FAN4 are for "CPU - Changes based on CPU Temp".

By all means.. I would LOVE to just plug these into the MB like I was Originally planning until I learned that the Headers were not monitoring in the way I was thinking.
Ahhh you have more knowledge than I do about the fans. You are right fanA is not related to the CPU. I forgot you had a supermicro board. I was thinking fan A was just the first one. After this you have got me thinking, I might need to move my fans around.

hertzsae

Contributor
Ryan, I may have missed it in the thread, but why are you getting a CPU fan? The stock Intel cooler is quite good as long as you get a retail boxed chip instead of the OEM one. Upgraded CPU fans are only needed if the case has clearance issues or you're overclocking.

Glad you figured out the video card thing. The basic graphics included on supermicro boards is all you need to boot. But really just use the IPMI. I don't think mine has ever been plugged into a monitor. Once you're sure the hardware is good, hide it in the basement and use the IPMI for power control too.

Last edited:

Ryan Allen

Explorer
Ahhh you have more knowledge than I do about the fans. You are right fanA is not related to the CPU. I forgot you had a supermicro board. I was thinking fan A was just the first one. After this you have got me thinking, I might need to move my fans around.

Well... how about that.. I'm getting to help someone out a little.. cool!!!
That is so far the best way I have found to do this. My search will continue!

Ryan Allen

Explorer
Ryan, I may have missed it in the thread, but why are you getting a CPU fan? The stock Intel cooler is quite good as long as you get a retail boxed chip instead of the OEM one. Upgraded CPU fans are only needed if the case has clearance issues or you're overclocking.
Humm.... I have read that the fan sometimes gives out sooner than one would like.
I have thought about saving the $60 and running the stock fan, but I really do like Noctua and want to make sure I don't have ANY cooling issues on any part of my rig..
upload_2017-3-2_16-23-9.png

It may be overkill.... I just don't know now that you mentioned it............
The Mobo, CPU, & CPU Fan are on the list of items I WAS going to be buying next week....... What to do.. What to do............

hertzsae

Contributor
I'm pretty sure that most people here run stock coolers. The only bashing of stock coolers that I've seen are from random anecdotes that I don't give any weight to. Intel wouldn't be in business long if they had unreliable coolers. You're buying a server chip meant for 24/7 operations, You should be able to trust the cooler that comes with it to safely conform to spec.

Also, just think of how paranoid everything you read on this website is. Very experienced IT professionals people are doing everything they can to ensure reliability. The fact that there isn't a sticky or guide talking about the dangers of a stock CPU cooler is a pretty good indication that stock coolers are fine.

One other thought, try to buy everything at the same time. Otherwise you risk missing a 30 day return window if you have bad parts. Troubleshooting can often delay knowing what part is bad.

Ryan Allen

Explorer
All very good points... unless someone REALLY compels me... i'm probably going to stick with the Stock cooler and see how it goes.. i guess I could always add it later if I REALLY had too!!!! Thanks for the idea!!

As for the 30 day return... I've thought about that too.. I plan on buying the Mobo and CPU next week and I bought the Ram a few weeks ago... i plan to test out the Ram using UBCD as soon as i get the other parts... THEN test out the CPU, again using UBCD. I'll get the HDD's next month. (Still working on the best way to burn them in/test it out.... Good play i hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.