Another Plex + FileStorage Build Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Allen

Explorer
Hello All!

I too am wanting a Plex + Storage Server. Can you guys let me know your thoughts? I have been beating my head up on this for SEVERAL weeks now and after going back and forth from forum to forum to YouTube.. I HOPE i have something good now.

Here is what I was thinking:
https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/qGNnTW/freenas-plex-server-build

Intel Xeon E3-1225 V5 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock E3C236D4U Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
2pcs) Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
3pcs) Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
2pcs - FreeNAS Boot, Mirrored) SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-032G-GAM46) [Newest Version]

Any and all comments are appreciated! I have learned a good deal from you guys! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Get a single 16GB DIMM instead.
Sounds like RAIDZ1. Bad idea, get a fourth drive and do RAIDZ2.
Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
That's a very weird choice. I'd go with a Seasonic G-550 instead.
Consider a single small, cheap SSD instead.

Ryan Allen

Explorer
With this board, I can use (1) memory chip at a time? So I could do (1) 16G now and add (3) more later if I wanted to? I thought I had to add memery in pairs.

I'm good with the RAIDZ2. Very good idea.

The power supply, I was trying to really feature proof things and have the ability to add up to (8) drives. I'll do some research on yours though. Thanks.

That USB was cheap. I though mirroring and have a little bit more storage space allowed for better life expectancy (read/writes) and redundancy?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I was trying to really feature proof things and have the ability to add up to (8) drives.
Make sure you plan for your storage upgrade and set your pool up accordingly.

Ryan Allen

Explorer
OK... Soo.. after some some thinking.. I've changed it up a bit.. I think you guys are right... Still needs work though i think..
Thoughts?

http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/B248TW/freenas-plex-server-build

Intel Xeon E3-1225 V5 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Samsung 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory **Just 1pc of 16GB for now... I didn't know that was possible, I always though it had to be done in pairs**
Transcend SSD370 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive **Boot Drive.. It was pretty cheap**
Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive **Can I runt this in RAIDZ2? I would do (1) 3TB drive for storage and (2) 3TB for redundancy. Is it possible to run it this way? If it works, it is just be slower? I just don't need the storage yet. I would rather add additional 3TB drives as needed to grow my pool.
Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply **I did more homework, your guys are right, this brand is rather good! I chose this one for the price.. it was on sale! Plus, i don't mind going over what i will need, it should run quieter**

Also, should i take off the "Stock" thermal paste and put on Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ? I read this was good stuff. If I should do this, how hard would it be to remove the stock stuff?

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Ryan Allen

Explorer
Thanks... I'll continue the journey!
Besides the storage arraignment, how does everything else look? Do you think I will run into issues with this rig?

I do appreciate you patents. I'm sure is very frustrating getting all these questions from people that haven't got it all figured out yet. You guys are great!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Leave the stock thermal paste on the CPU cooler it will be fine. Also do some research on the 804, IIRC others have had hard drive cooling issues with that case. You want to keep your drives under 40C for maximum reliability and longevity.

Other than that it looks good.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The cpu you got has integrated graphics. You don't need that. Get a 1220 or 1230.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RodyMcAmp

Contributor
The deference between 1220 and 1230 is $50, 400 mhz, and hyperthreading. Honestly if budget allows I would get the 1230.

Leave the stock thermal paste on the CPU cooler it will be fine. Also do some research on the 804, IIRC others have had hard drive cooling issues with that case. You want to keep your drives under 40C for maximum reliability and longevity.

Other than that it looks good.
Do you have any pointers on threads discussing cooling issues on the Node 804? I ask because I have a Node 804, with 8 WD Red 4 TB drives, and I have no cooling issues what so ever. I've only installed two out of five possible fans on the side of the case that has the drives, and those fans typically run at about 50% duty cycle to keep the average drive temperature at 36.5C.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Could possibly be my memory failing me but I could swear there have been others on this forum reporting cooling issues with that case. Too late for this old man to check tonight though, it's bedtime.

Are you thinking of the Silverstone DS380? I've seen quite a few people with cooling issues with those, until they made the cooling mods recommended in a few threads. I don't recall seeing any cooling complaints about the Node 804, nor can I find any in a quick forum search.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Are you thinking of the Silverstone DS380? I've seen quite a few people with cooling issues with those, until they made the cooling mods recommended in a few threads. I don't recall seeing any cooling complaints about the Node 804, nor can I find any in a quick forum search.
That's probably what it is, thanks for checking that.

Ryan Allen

Explorer

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Don't let my poor memory sway your decision, get the case you want to get.

Ryan Allen

Explorer

Ryan Allen

Explorer
Hello ALL! So I have done more thinking and searching and I came up with, what I think at least, my FINAL build list. Would you guys mind taking a look and let me know your thoughts?
I'm going to set it up using Link Aggregation as well. Probably not needed but my MoBo & Switch can handle it and it should help out making things move in and out of the server a bit better.:D

Use for this monster.. :)
- Storage: 2 PC Backups, 6 Phone/Device Backups, Home Video & Picture Storage, Home Document Storage
- Plex: Up to 5 or 6 users, some transcoding, some direct streaming
- Resilo: Syncing between 3 to 4 devices
- Owncloud: Maybe...
- MinOS: Minecraft for the kids possibly....

ONE Question I still KINDA have.. I was going to get the E3-1225 V5 b/c it has Integrated Graphics. My MoBo has VGA Out. Sooo.. will my setup using the E3-1230 V5 w/ no integrated graphics still allow me to hook into the VGA and use a monitor for install and BIOS changes? I'm PRETTY sure i'm good, I just wanted to make sure that the MoBo has some kind of cheap graphics built in so my setup will work. After install, I'm running headless.

ccssid

Explorer

ONE Question I still KINDA have.. I was going to get the E3-1225 V5 b/c it has Integrated Graphics. My MoBo has VGA Out. Sooo.. will my setup using the E3-1230 V5 w/ no integrated graphics still allow me to hook into the VGA and use a monitor for install and BIOS changes? I'm PRETTY sure i'm good, I just wanted to make sure that the MoBo has some kind of cheap graphics built in so my setup will work. After install, I'm running headless.

I ran into same problem using a Asrock c236 WS mobo with e3-1230 v5.

wish I had gone with e3-1245 v5 .

I installed a cheap gpu to set things up. but when i removed the card after set up, system would not boot. so, I have to leave the card in.

You may not have that problem with your mobo. I would call Supermicro to verify. Note: My mobo is a workstation board, however. Asrock tech told me I should have gotten a server mobo instead ...or..again...get the cpu with built-in graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.