SOLVED An Unexpected Network Error Has Occured

jwsl224

Dabbler
we're running two TrueNas 12 instances, and both of them have an issue with "an unexpected network error has occured" when we use them with windows over SMB. nowhere ever does this issue arise with our windows machine when we're doing windows-to-windows transfers.

this is a rather vague error. how would one dig into getting more information regarding this issue? are there detailed windows or TrueNAS logs one can extract? can't really work with errors; these machines are expected to sever up several million files. file corruption is not an option.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Per forum rules, please provide the hardware details of your 2 TrueNAS instances.

jwsl224

Dabbler
sure.

Dell R730XD
2x Intel Xeon E5-2623 v4
128GB RAM

Dell T410
2x Intel Xeon CPU E5620
32GB RAM

let me know if i need to go more specific. do the HD's matter?

Samuel Tai

Are you using the onboard NICs or do you have PCI-E NICs installed?

jwsl224

Dabbler
onboard. let me know if you want me to run commands in the shell for additional info

jgreco

Resident Grinch
sure.

Dell R730XD
2x Intel Xeon E5-2623 v4
128GB RAM

Dell T410
2x Intel Xeon CPU E5620
32GB RAM

let me know if i need to go more specific. do the HD's matter?

Ideally, you do not want to make forum members have to research what a "Dell R730XD" is, or to guess at what configuration you ordered from Dell, so you want to include information like what sort of ethernet interfaces it has, what sort of HBA is in use, etc. Please try to remember that community members are not paid support people, and that by providing detailed information, you will be encouraging a better class of response and engagement with your issue.

Samuel Tai

Are these bare-metal servers, or are you running TrueNAS as VMs? What hardware are you using to supply storage to these servers?

jwsl224

Dabbler
Ideally, you do not want to make forum members have to research what a "Dell R730XD" is, or to guess at what configuration you ordered from Dell, so you want to include information like what sort of ethernet interfaces it has, what sort of HBA is in use, etc. Please try to remember that community members are not paid support people, and that by providing detailed information, you will be encouraging a better class of response and engagement with your issue.
I can supply any information needed, but I don't know what particulars are needed to troubleshoot an issue

jwsl224

Dabbler
Are these bare-metal servers, or are you running TrueNAS as VMs? What hardware are you using to supply storage to these servers?
let's focus on the new machine, the Dell R730XD. it is using an HBA330 passthrough controller, and TrueNAS is installed directly on 2 120gb PNY SSD's.

Samuel Tai

HBA330 passthrough controller

This is the problem. Your controller isn't flashed to IT mode, allowing TrueNAS direct access to the drives, but is only passing through the drives. It's not able to keep up under load.

jwsl224

Dabbler
This is the problem. Your controller isn't flashed to IT mode, allowing TrueNAS direct access to the drives, but is only passing through the drives. It's not able to keep up under load.

jeepers. why didn't anyone tell me that before :@

would you give me a posting how to do this?

Samuel Tai

ServeTheHome has a good post on how to do this:

jwsl224

Dabbler
ServeTheHome has a good post on how to do this:

this is for the H330 card, not the HBA330..

jgreco

Resident Grinch
jeepers. why didn't anyone tell me that before :@

Well, we try hard. There is resistance at iXsystems to label hardware as "incompatible" with FreeNAS, but here in the forums we try to be pretty clear about it... that's why I'm also pushy about people posting a more detailed hardware manifest. Because it matters.

Samuel Tai

It's the same card with different firmware.

jwsl224

Dabbler
Well, we try hard. There is resistance at iXsystems to label hardware as "incompatible" with FreeNAS, but here in the forums we try to be pretty clear about it... that's why I'm also pushy about people posting a more detailed hardware manifest. Because it matters.
i feel you. it seems the iXsystems people have an issue with transparency. people have complained about this in the past, like with their limited info on their compression. but. it's not important. i will supply whatever information needed as long as i know it's needed :)
but we do appreciate you guys. without the forums, we have nowhere to go.

jwsl224

Dabbler
It's the same card with different firmware.
ok, pardon my ignorance then, but what specifically do i need to do here. yes i'm a noobie at this. should i be looking for IT formware for an HBA330? or will IT firmware for an H330 solve the problem?

jwsl224

Dabbler

i got the below answer from your forums. all due respect, but the information between HoneyBadger and you is conflicting.

and according to YouTube university, the HBA330 is literally dell's answer to an IT controller; it comes with IT firmware preflashed from dell.

Samuel Tai

Please provide a screen shot of the BIOS screens for the HBA. That will show conclusively what it claims to be.

jwsl224

Dabbler
sure. here you go.

HBA330.png