One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.

dbotsios

Cadet
Hello,
I am completely rookie and followed some youtube videos and I just built a NAS using an old PC and two brand new Red WD 1TB each plus an old HDD as boot device.
I am transfering the files from another NAS using the robocopy command under Windows CMD.
While in copy process, I got the following error:
"One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected."

I did a manual SMART test and the disk didn't pass.

What should I do now ? Could it be the SATA cable ?

Thank you

Code:
root@truenas[~]# zpool status -v
  pool: TrueNas
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ   WRITE   CKSUM
        TrueNas                                         ONLINE       0       0       0
          mirror-0                                      ONLINE       0       0       0
            gptid/551131ec-5c1f-11ec-914a-d43d7e521ee1  ONLINE       2       0       0
            gptid/552a0f8f-5c1f-11ec-914a-d43d7e521ee1  ONLINE       0       0       0

errors: No known data errors

Last edited by a moderator:

NugentS

MVP
Doubt its the cable - CKSUM is often cable. Not READ.
And if SMART failed - you need to replace the disk. Then take the disk offline and thoroughly test it by running something like badblocks on it for multiple passes and see if it passes then (it may or may not)
As the disks are new - run the WD Dashboard app on it and RMA if it fails

BTW - as WD Red and 1TB, are these SMR or CMR drives?
If SMR then return them and buy CMR drives

djb

Explorer
Hello , i have the same issue running 11,3 U5.
How can i identify which disk has the issue to replace?
under storage pools, or storage disks there is nothing with a notification for issue.

1642967672483.png

NugentS

MVP
look at zpool status - the errors will be listed there (normally)

djb

Explorer
look at zpool status - the errors will be listed there (normally)
@NugentS In disk properties of spinning drives, i can see read errors and retries. i was able to identify the faulty. (Freenas 11,3)
1643633534684.png

in Truenas for SSD drives, there is no such thing. Only the disk reports. Can you guide how we can check the disks please?

NugentS

MVP
In the shell type zpool status
or Storage / Pools / Click the Cog and select Status

Should give you a display like
1643638133875.png

djb

Explorer
In the shell type zpool status
or Storage / Pools / Click the Cog and select Status

Should give you a display like
View attachment 52720
Thank you for your direction. Both operations show the number 34. But everythying is online. Do you think there is a problem on this pool ? is there any way to further test this zpool ?

1643639461931.png

1643639512635.png

NugentS

MVP
Chksum errors often point at a cabling or possibly power issue. I would swap the cabling around and see if the problem transfers. "Zpool clear" can be used to clear errors, but be aware that you may just cover up a problem

Last edited:

djb

Explorer
Chksum errors often point at a cabling or possibly power issue. I would swap the cabling around and see if the problem transfers. "Zpool clear" can be used to clear errors, but be aware that you may just cover up a problem
thanks a lot, i will not clear but i will switch the cables, so i'm expecting to see on the other drive errors. otherwise it's the drive.