One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.

peterge

Explorer
I am relatively new to TrueNAS.
I run TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.1-2.

Let me describe what i did:
I had error sectors on my drive, one 14tb hdd from toshiba. The replacement arrived today and i put it in. I selected replace the hard drive. After it was unresponsive, i shut the system down. After i booted it up, it showed a "check drive" check in pool status. That check with the title RESILVER is now Status: FINISHED.
I got an alert mail with this content:
TrueNAS @ truenas.local

New alerts:
  • Pool main state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
Current alerts:
  • Pool main state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
My questions: What do I have to do now? Can i resolve this?

I did post these post in the subreddit. This is the order:

root@truenas[~]# zpool status -v pool: boot-pool state: ONLINE status: Some supported and requested features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable. action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done, the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support the features. See zpool-features(7) for details. scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:01:30 with 0 errors on Sun Nov 28 03:46:32 2021 config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM boot-pool ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0 sdb3 ONLINE 0 0 0 sdc3 ONLINE 0 0 0 errors: No known data errors pool: main state: ONLINE status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected. action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'. see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-9P scan: resilvered 6.32T in 12:48:52 with 0 errors on Wed Dec 8 22:50:48 2021 config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM main ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0 6e041f6c-a8c4-4659-8c45-02c8f90f8b63 ONLINE 0 0 0 ca5d4662-c842-461b-915d-247ac71fb51e ONLINE 0 0 1 errors: No known data errors

peterge

Explorer
Pool Status and the Alert I got just now:
yeb3ud7x4e481.png

NugentS

MVP
You got a single chksum error on sdd, which is presumably the same as ca5d4662-c842-461b-915d-247ac71fb51e
Chksum errors are often (but not always) cabling issues so I would shutdown, replace the data cable to that drive making sure its well seated and then reboot. Them scrub the pool. If the pool scrubs run zpool clear on the pool and see if it happens again.

Mind you - if it happened when you replaced the disk it might be that you don't have hotswap disk bays and thus the issue. If you think the cable is good and what I am saying makes sense (only you know in what order you did things) then run zpool clear on the pool and wait to see if it happens again.

peterge

Explorer
You got a single chksum error on sdd, which is presumably the same as ca5d4662-c842-461b-915d-247ac71fb51e
Chksum errors are often (but not always) cabling issues so I would shutdown, replace the data cable to that drive making sure its well seated and then reboot. Them scrub the pool. If the pool scrubs run zpool clear on the pool and see if it happens again.

Mind you - if it happened when you replaced the disk it might be that you don't have hotswap disk bays and thus the issue. If you think the cable is good and what I am saying makes sense (only you know in what order you did things) then run zpool clear on the pool and wait to see if it happens again.
Thanks for the quick answer, I don't have hot swap bays. It is the cable which I used before. I don't know if I can get a replacement soon, but I don't think the cable is faulty.

You tell me that I can clear that error by running zpool clear and I have to wait if the error shows up again.
Do I understand you correct?

Sry, but I don't have much experience with TrueNAS yet...

NugentS

MVP
Yup - you can clear the error by running "zpool clear main".
Its only one error and might be caused by you swapping the drive and watch to see what happens. But after running the zpool clear run a manual scrub anyway

peterge

Explorer
Yup - you can clear the error by running "zpool clear main".
Its only one error and might be caused by you swapping the drive and watch to see what happens. But after running the zpool clear run a manual scrub anyway
How do i start a manually scrub?

NugentS

MVP
Goto Storage and flail around the pool options and you should find it.
[Sorry don't have a scale box in a working condition atm]

peterge

Explorer
Goto Storage and flail around the pool options and you should find it.
[Sorry don't have a scale box in a working condition atm]
Okay, found it. One thing i noticed:
1639047868498.png

I did not run zpool clear main yet. Will it fix the Unhealthy status?

NugentS

MVP
Should do