AMD build, need input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky458

Cadet
I am trying to build a freeNAS from my old pc (Ideally for the wallet)
What I have s
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1075T (owned)
MBD: M5A99FX PRO 2.0 (owned)
RAM: kingston kvr16e11/8 *2
Disks: WD red 4tb 5400rpm *2
Case & PSU: Some Chinese brand case with a 450W psu that comes with the case (owned)
Total cost (diskless) : ~$200 cad, mostly comes from rams and the intel NIC

Not sure if I should build from the old parts or invest on something else

CPU: Intel Plentium G3258 Haswell
MBD: Supermicro X10SLM-F-O
Same case and Ram from above
Total cost (diskless): ~$500 cad

Would my old pc works?

nojohnny101

Wizard
I think the general answer you'll get from most experienced people on here based on what you already own is "not if you care about your data". Sure you might be able to get FreeNAS up and running, but if you do, do not put anything you wouldn't want to lose on your disks because you are lacking some of what FreeNAS requires to be stable and reliable (i.e. questionable PSU, possible compatibility issues with AMD, etc). You have a good start though with the ECC ram (I'm actually running the same Kingston ram) and the WED reds. I would say >95% of people on here use Intel so if you run into problems with that, your resources/help on here will be limited.

I have seen people post on here that they have cobbled together systems that are below the recommended specs and minimum requirements just to play around before investing some money. Like I said, if you do that just don't put any valuable data on the disks. You could also look into less demanding OS like NAS4Free.

I will say I have the G3258 in my primary box and it has been great. Gives respectable performance for CIFS transfers and handles plex transcoding well.

Good luck!

Ricky458

Cadet
I think the general answer you'll get from most experienced people on here based on what you already own is "not if you care about your data". Sure you might be able to get FreeNAS up and running, but if you do, do not put anything you wouldn't want to lose on your disks because you are lacking some of what FreeNAS requires to be stable and reliable (i.e. questionable PSU, possible compatibility issues with AMD, etc). You have a good start though with the ECC ram (I'm actually running the same Kingston ram) and the WED reds. I would say >95% of people on here use Intel so if you run into problems with that, your resources/help on here will be limited.

I have seen people post on here that they have cobbled together systems that are below the recommended specs and minimum requirements just to play around before investing some money. Like I said, if you do that just don't put any valuable data on the disks. You could also look into less demanding OS like NAS4Free.

I will say I have the G3258 in my primary box and it has been great. Gives respectable performance for CIFS transfers and handles plex transcoding well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!!

snaptec

Guru
I have a devdev box from old Hardware running. Its a x1055t phenom with 16gigs non ecc ram.
It runs, but throws errors sometimes and killed one pool after a kerner panic.
So for real Data -> dont do that!

Under Linux the Hardware runs fine.
Don't know whats wrong and don't care about it. As Said, just a test devdev system.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

nojohnny101

Wizard
EDIT. Sorry confused.

Nick2253

Wizard
There's nothing inherently wrong with an AMD-based FreeNAS system. In fact, our own resident @joeschmuck had (has?) an AMD machine running FreeNAS. His contribution would be valuable here.

However, that doesn't mean running an AMD-based FreeNAS system will be as easy or trouble-free as an Intel FreeNAS system. The biggest reason, in my mind, is community support, both here and from the FreeBSD community for Intel platforms. Should you run into a weird AMD glitch/bug/corner case, you'll have fewer compatriots using (near) identical hardware configurations, which could mean you'll be dead in the water unless you can figure it out for yourself.

Now, I'll be honest, I've never run into a problem on my system that was due to my hardware choices. But I have seen it a lot on the forums here, as well as with pfSense (another project based on FreeBSD).

Turning back to your particular case, I see three potential problems:
  1. Your PSU is likely not acceptable for a 24/7 server, especially a server storing critical data. A hearty PSU is an important requirement, and a no-name PSU from China is asking for problems. I would replace that with a high quality PSU before doing anything else.
  2. Your motherboard is a consumer grade motherboard. You rightly realized the need to replace the NIC with a proper Intel NIC, but the problems with a consumer board go deeper. Things like onboard audio can lead to weird behavior. Also, I'm not sure how well supported the onboard HDD controllers are. I believe they'll work, but again, you may run in to problems that only you can solve.
  3. Lastly, if you evern overclocked your CPU, you don't want to use it for this kind of application. OCed hardware is stressed well above its design limits, which can drastically shorten its life. In other words, a CPU that could last for 25+ years might start throwing errors tomorrow.
A potential third way for you is to buy used server-grade hardware from eBay. You can get a great deal (~$250 USD) on full case+psu+cpu/motherboard/ram servers. All you'll have to do is add drives. I'm not sure how cost-effective this route would be for you as a Canadian, but it's something I'd definitely recommend exploring for a budget-conscious shopper.

BBarker

Contributor
You won't find a lot of AMD love here as everyone is Intel savvy and can help you diagnose all kinds of random issues without first pointing to your hardware as a potential problem when asked. Intel does have a stranglehold on this segment of the market for a reason.

That being said, I ran my FreeNAS box using an AMD A10 processor, desktop mainboard, non-ECC RAM and Seagate (GASP!) drives for a year with zero hardware issues. Like you, I had an interest in FreeNAS and thought I would try it first to see how I liked it's functionality in the environment I was going to use it in.

If your intent is to try it out and not have too much concern for the data stored on the device...then go for it just to see if FreeNAS is for you, but keep in mind that if you decide you need a long term, secure and reliable data storage solution you may want to factor in an upgrade to more suitable, server grade, FreeNAS approved components in the future.

You've got ECC RAM, but does this CPU even support ECC RAM? By "support", I mean does it take advantage of the error correcting code in ECC RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.