2nd FreeNAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

billgreenwood

Dabbler
Hello FreeNas folk,

I'm about to put together another FreeNAS build to be used in a small office, serving high res photoshop files to 5 users. This is similar style to my first FreeNAS build https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/first-freenas-build-from-286-to-e3.20535/ which was 9.2.1.x (still is) and is running strong.

Have a look and please critique. (see noted below)

CASE
Fractal Design Define R5 Pearl Computer Case - Black (comes with fans, and I have some spare)
CL Computers
£77.95

MOTHERBOARD
Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O Motherboard (Single SKT, Intel C222 Express PCH, SATA, IPMI)
LSI 2308 flash to IT mode
£237.23 Amazon

CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 Haswell 3.1GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 80W Server Processor BX80646E31220V3
£141.99 NewEgg

Memory: 32GB 2 x Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 ECC UDIMM CT4484984
DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 72
£218.38 (109.19 x 2)

CPU COOLER
Supermicro SNK-P0046A4
£21.00 Amazon

DRIVES
8 x WD Red 6TB NAS Desktop Hard Disk Drive - Intellipower SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD60EFRX. I'm not going for the Red Pros. T I think the standard Reds are fine.
£165.99 (each) NewEgg

PSU
Corsair RMi Series™ RM750i — 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU
£96.99 NewEgg.

FLASH DRIVE x 3 (one spare - one for upgrades)
SanDisk Cruzer Force 16 GB USB Flash Drive USB 2.0
£5.28 Amazon

UPS
APC SMT1500I Smart-UPS,1000 Watts ----
£390 Amazon

This time, the machine will run FreeNAS 9.3.x.

I'm still pondering whether USB or SSD for the OS / Jails. I still have to read up further on how 9.3 works install-wise.

Another ponder regards pools. My other machine has 10 drives with 2 x raidz2 pools (6 x 3Tb & 4 x 6Tb).
With 8 x 6Tb drives should I do one pool?

I could get and fit 10 x 6Tb drives in this case, There is space in this case. Can I use the SAS and SATA together on this motherboard?

All advice greatly received

Cheers

b.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
CPU COOLER
Supermicro SNK-P0046A4
£21.00 Amazon
Why not stick with the stock cooler?

FLASH DRIVE x 3 (one spare - one for upgrades)
SanDisk Cruzer Force 16 GB USB Flash Drive USB 2.0
£5.28 Amazon
If uptime is essential, a small SSD (cheapest SanDisk or Crucial you find is ok) might be a worthwhile investment. No real need for two of them, unless you really want this to be extremely reliable.

Can I use the SAS and SATA together on this motherboard?
Of course.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Agree CPU cooler is unnecessary. Stock cooler should be completely adequate...assuming you're buying the retail box (retail box always includes stock cooler from Intel, including Xeons, as far as I know).

PSU is way too large--it will run inefficiently.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
PSU is way too large--it will run inefficiently.

Yes, but PSU isn't too large for what that board is capable of in terms of drives, so if there are future expansion plans, the cost of some inefficiency now may be less than the cost of replacing the PSU later.

billgreenwood

Dabbler
@Ericloewe

Stock Cooler it is. I've the Supermicro one on my other build and all the temps are running just fine.
Uptime is essential. If for some reason the OS drive dies, I want to be able to pop in a configured replacement and carry on with as little downtime possible. So I'll need an OS drive and a clone of this. I search later tonight about making clones or just a second OS SSD. Any pointers appreciated.
SATA / SSD ... Thought I could, but had to ask. No question is too stupid in my book!

@DrKK
Luckily I'm not paying for power on this :) Would you suggest 500W?

What's your feeling on the drive situation and pools

I could get and fit 10 x 6Tb drives in this case.

With 8 x 6Tb drives (or even 10 x 6Tb) should I do one pool?

Cheers

B.

billgreenwood

Dabbler
Ive 10 drives in my other build. X9 board and M105 card (6 of which i want to upgrade). Again here ive a 750w supply and ive not seen any difference in my power bill.

I use btsync to sync large images so the machine is on and working 24/7.

The FreeNAS system is superb and you very experienced guys in these forums are very helpful (sarcy at times ... But i like that). So thanks for the advice.

B

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Stock Cooler it is. I've the Supermicro one on my other build and all the temps are running just fine.
Uptime is essential. If for some reason the OS drive dies, I want to be able to pop in a configured replacement and carry on with as little downtime possible. So I'll need an OS drive and a clone of this. I search later tonight about making clones or just a second OS SSD. Any pointers appreciated.
SATA / SSD ... Thought I could, but had to ask. No question is too stupid in my book!
FreeNAS boots from a ZFS pool. Just mirror two SSDs.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

billgreenwood

Dabbler
Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.