First time build review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooash

Dabbler
I'm planning on replacing my HP Micro server which currently hosts around 6TB of content with a new FreeNAS whitebox. Once I've setup the below I plan on migrating all my data acorss and re-using the drives from my HP system taking the main storage zpool up to 6 WD 4TB Red's. Can anyone see anything wrong with the below build?

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB SSD x 2 in raid z1
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB x 5 in raid z2
Boot USB: 16GB USB x 2
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Titanium Grey) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold

This machine will be running a few jails (Plex for example) which I'll run off the SSD zpool. I'm also hoping to run 2 small (1GB and 256MB of RAM) VM's also on the SSD zpool using VirtualBox (has anyone had really poor experience with this?)

It'll be split across two zpools, storage zpool using all the 4TB WD Red's and a jail/VM zpool using the Samsung SSD's.

Is this overkill? Am I doing something seriously wrong/stupid? This is my first time playing with FreeNAS in this scenario. If running the VM's on this system as well its a terrible idea I can leave them on my current VM server but migrate their disks across to this system, exposing them via NFS to Proxmox.

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Once I've setup the below I plan on migrating all my data acorss and re-using the drives from my HP system taking the main storage zpool up to 6 WD 4TB Red's.
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB x 5 in raid z2
Your build looks fine and is similar to mine (see 'My Systems' below).

If I understand correctly, you plan to migrate your data to FreeNAS from your HP system, and then move one of your HP drives, adding it to the FreeNAS RAIDZ2 pool.. but note that you can't simply add additional drives to a RAIDZ2 pool. To add drives, you will have to destroy and rebuild it, which will destroy any data stored on it. This may alter your plans... :smile:

Mooash

Dabbler
Thanks a bunch for your help! I've ended up going with 8 drives in the array instead of trying to increase it further down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.