Migrate OS from thumbdrive to DOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkdickinson

Contributor
What is the best way to migrate the OS from the thumbdrive to the DOM. I remember reading that I could just copy backup the configuration, load FreeNAS on the DOM, boot fresh and then restore the settings. Is there just a way to clone the thumbdrive to the DOM?

When I ordered all the parts for my new FreeNAS, the DOM didn't come in. It was on backorder.

I had all the stuff except for the DOM, so I did my build using a thumbdrive that I had. DOM came today. Didn't realize that Newegg ships some stuff direct from China, but this is from China.

Build:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 DDR3 1600

FSP Group FSP400-60GHS(85)-R 400W Micro ATX12V / SFX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply with Intel ...

Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B

Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 Haswell 3.1GHz LGA 1150 80W Server Processor BX80646E31220V3

4 - WD Red 4TB NAS Desktop Hard Disk Drive - Intellipower SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EFRX

SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel Grandia Series SST-GD07B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Goldendisk 16GB SATA DOM SSD Solid State Disk Embedded Storage Cards Boot system memory NAND MLC FLASH

This build is dedicated to run my Plex server in my house. It is probably way overkill, but I am on the same network as my office, so I may do backups from my other FreeNAS. Only running ZFS-1 because all this data is backed up on a portable drive and on my office server also.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
What is the best way to migrate the OS from the thumbdrive to the DOM. I remember reading that I could just copy backup the configuration, load FreeNAS on the DOM, boot fresh and then restore the settings. Is there just a way to clone the thumbdrive to the DOM?

When I ordered all the parts for my new FreeNAS, the DOM didn't come in. It was on backorder.

I had all the stuff except for the DOM, so I did my build using a thumbdrive that I had. DOM came today. Didn't realize that Newegg ships some stuff direct from China, but this is from China.

Build:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 DDR3 1600

FSP Group FSP400-60GHS(85)-R 400W Micro ATX12V / SFX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply with Intel ...

Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B

Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 Haswell 3.1GHz LGA 1150 80W Server Processor BX80646E31220V3

4 - WD Red 4TB NAS Desktop Hard Disk Drive - Intellipower SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EFRX

SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel Grandia Series SST-GD07B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Goldendisk 16GB SATA DOM SSD Solid State Disk Embedded Storage Cards Boot system memory NAND MLC FLASH

This build is dedicated to run my Plex server in my house. It is probably way overkill, but I am on the same network as my office, so I may do backups from my other FreeNAS. Only running ZFS-1 because all this data is backed up on a portable drive and on my office server also.

You could probably create a mirror with your SATADOM and current boot USB following directions here: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_system.html#mirroring-the-boot-device

But I don't believe there is a way to remove the USB from the mirror after this. So I'd just do a fresh install of FreeNAS to the SATADOM and apply your config to it. The procedure is pretty fast and painless.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So I'd just do a fresh install of FreeNAS to the SATADOM and apply your config to it. The procedure is pretty fast and painless.
That's my recommendation, too.

TAC

Contributor
My FreeNAS system has been running flawlessly for year but I'd really like the make a backup of my 16GB USB drive that holds the OS. Messing with this type of thing makes me nervous although the above does look 'pretty fast and painless'. ;-)

So just to double check, if do the following steps the world should be safe?
  1. Backup up my FreeNAS configuration from the GUI (System | General | Save Config).

2. Download the latest FreeNAS ISO and make a bootable CD.

3. Install this new FreeNAS on a new 16GB USB drive. I should be able to do this on any machine since my FreeNAS system doesn't have a CD drive. I shouldn't have to worry about any particular configurations during this 'new' install.

4. Pull the existing 16GB FreeNAS OS USB drive from my existing (working perfectly) FreeNAS system.

5. Install new 16GB USB drive in system.

6. Upload configuration from step 1 to new 16GB USB drive (System | General | Upload Config).
When finished, all my jails/plugins (PlexMediaServer, ownCloud, data, etc) should all look just like they did before I started? :smile:

Assuming I don't change anything I should be able to plug in either USB drive and not see any difference.

Thanks,

-TAC

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
My FreeNAS system has been running flawlessly for year but I'd really like the make a backup of my 16GB USB drive that holds the OS. Messing with this type of thing makes me nervous although the above does look 'pretty fast and painless'. ;-)
Or you could simply plug in the second USB Stick/Drive, then in the GUI add it as a "Mirror" of your first USB Stick and be done with it. Bingo, Bango, Bongo... You now have a live mirror and can withstand losing one of your USB sticks. But as mentioned, you should always keep copies of your config elsewhere. I keep tons of them, because I am weird like that....

TAC

Contributor
Or you could simply plug in the second USB Stick/Drive, then in the GUI add it as a "Mirror" of your first USB Stick and be done with it. Bingo, Bango, Bongo... You now have a live mirror and can withstand losing one of your USB sticks. But as mentioned, you should always keep copies of your config elsewhere. I keep tons of them, because I am weird like that....
Maybe I'll go wild and do both!

TAC

Contributor
So I bought a few more 16 GB SanDisk USB sticks the exact same model number of my FreeNAS boot unit (SDCZ33) to do mirror.

I plug a new SanSisk Cruzer Fit flash drive in a spare USB port, go to System | Boot | Status right click on 'freenas-b00t' and click Attach. After selecting da7 (the new drive) FreeNAS tells me I don't don't have enough room on the new drive. I tried deleting the crap that came on the drive, quick formatting, and even a full format with no luck.

The format of the USB drive is FAT do I need to change it to NTFS?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
The format of the USB drive is FAT do I need to change it to NTFS?
You need to wipe it so it doesn't have any formatting or partitions. Go under [Storage] - [View Disks]; select the correct drive (be sure of this). Then "Wipe" it. Now you should be fine with adding it.

TAC

Contributor
You need to wipe it so it doesn't have any formatting or partitions. Go under [Storage] - [View Disks]; select the correct drive (be sure of this). Then "Wipe" it. Now you should be fine with adding it.

Used both Quick Wipe and Wipe with zeros (which took awhile!) and in both cases when trying to Attach FreeNAS reported the new drive wasn't large enough. :-(

When I get home from work I'll post the exact message from the log file.

gpsguy

I just replied to the other thread where you posted a similar question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAC

Contributor
Used both Quick Wipe and Wipe with zeros (which took awhile!) and in both cases when trying to Attach FreeNAS reported the new drive wasn't large enough. :-(

When I get home from work I'll post the exact message from the log file.

The attached file shows (I think) what's going on when I try to Wipe and then Attach my new SanDisk.

The attached text file is from my var/db/system/syslog-.../log/message file

Attachments

• SanDiskProbs.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 262
Status
Not open for further replies.