Migrating to Sata DOM Step-by-step

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Dill

Contributor
I am running FreeNas 9.3 off of a USB stick plugged into my SuperMicro x10 Mobo using the internal socket. I would like to switch to SATA DOM at some point, probably a mirror. Thinking of picking up two of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-16GB-SA...968165?hash=item21094d1825:g:0mQAAOSwnLdWqukc

What would the best way to migrate my OS to the mirrored DOM? How do I setup the mirror on my X10 without a hardware RAID controller, or would I need to add the controller?

My current 6 SATA storage drives are occupying the two SATA DOM slots, would moving them to other SATA ports mess with ZFS?

Would it be best to install FreeNas into new DOM first, then save and restore config? Or backup config, boot down, install FreeNas into DOM, then boot up and restore config?

I do not want to lose my data, of course. I have been running stable and smooth off of this USB drive for 4-5 months, is it better to just leave it?

Thanks in advance!

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Backup the config file (should already be done), reinstall, import the config file, done :)

No need for a controller, read the manual, the mirroring details are in it.

No, you can change the drive from SATA port to SATA port without any problem.

Chris Dill

Contributor
Sweet, thanks for the quick response!

Status
Not open for further replies.