Which X10 Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkdickinson

Contributor
I see many options for X10 boards on Newegg.com.

I have two in my wishlist, but have looked at others also. I can't figure out which one to order.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 DDR3 1600
and
SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C222 DDR3 1600

I plan to run 6 drives plus DOM. Is it better to just get the cheapest X-10 and throw in a good SATA controller, or get the board that has all the ports I need to start? Been reading and thought about having more slots so I can have a cold spare drive.

I don't know what the compatability of the SAS controller on the SL7 is? Will it the SAS controller control SATA drives

Thanks,

Kirk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's no such thing as a "good SATA controller" that you can buy, excluding Intel's PCH SATA.

The X10SL7-F is the default option for people who want to use more than 6 drives.

The Supermicro X10 FAQ has a link to a guide that explains the features of the various X10 models.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The "plus DOM" makes it 7 drives.

Consider this:

The X10SLL has an internet USB motherboard slot that is perfect for the boot device----if it's a USB stick and not a DOM. Then you have your 6 drives.

The cost premium for having a total of 7 hard drive ports versus 6 is just not worth it just to use a DOM. I would strongly suggest not using a DOM, and going with the X10SLL.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The X10SLL has an internal USB motherboard slot that is perfect for the boot device----if it's a USB stick and not a DOM. Then you have your 6 drives.
To clear up any confusion.

As for the DOM vs USB discussion: If productivity isn't on the line, USB boot drives work fine, especially if you shop around for some faster ones.

Honestly, given DOM prices, I'd rather get a real SSD, neatness be damned.

Status
Not open for further replies.