SOLVED After upgrade to 9.3 trying to enable DHCP in existing jails does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

jknight2112

Cadet
I upgraded to 9.3 and wanted to change some of the existing jails to use dhcp. Editing the jail config to use dhcp does not work, the jail does not get an ip.

I have set up several new jails with the dhcp option and they work fine, and get their ip from the dhcp server.

I'm not sure if this is a true bug or if I am just overlooking something.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Submit a bug report.

stillka

Explorer
I have same problem with todays update, 1 jail after reboot not get dhcp ip, I used workaround - flushed my router mac address/ip list and jail got new IP...

biGdada

Dabbler
I upgraded to 9.3 and wanted to change some of the existing jails to use dhcp. Editing the jail config to use dhcp does not work, the jail does not get an ip.

I have set up several new jails with the dhcp option and they work fine, and get their ip from the dhcp server.

I'm not sure if this is a true bug or if I am just overlooking something.
Have you submited a bug report? i'm seeing the same behaviour, and could submit a report but i dont want it to be a duplicate

J

jkh

I believe this works as intended. Things need to be done to a jail to get it to use DHCP, and FreeNAS never touches your old jails (it doesn't attempt to "upgrade" them or otherwise do anything whatsoever to them at all - they're the sole property/responsibility of the user). If you want to have new jail behavior, create a new jail and then migrate your stuff across, deleting the old when you're ready.

biGdada

Dabbler
I believe this works as intended. Things need to be done to a jail to get it to use DHCP, and FreeNAS never touches your old jails (it doesn't attempt to "upgrade" them or otherwise do anything whatsoever to them at all - they're the sole property/responsibility of the user). If you want to have new jail behavior, create a new jail and then migrate your stuff across, deleting the old when you're ready.
sounds reasonable. can the old jails coexist with new ones? Can i just enable dhcp in Jails->Configuration, and the old jails will continue to behave normally?

J

jkh

The old jails should continue to have their configured static IP addresses, yes. Nothing changes for them - they are the same before and after.

Alvin

Explorer
It is reasonable that the upgrade process should not touch existing jails automatically, but note that the kernel will differ anyway.
When it is impossible to upgrade existing jails, it is clearly a bug and a possible security risk.

You can't say jails are not intended to be upgraded. They can be upgraded just fine on FreeBSD, for example with ezjail-admin. What we need is a warden feature called 'upgrade' or something.
Some jails take a lot of work to set up properly.

J

jkh

Let me rephrase - jails are a convenience feature of FreeNAS and not really central to its mission, which is to be a NAS. If you want to create a jail, we will let you. After that, you are on your own. We do not provide extensive UI for customizing, updating or dealing with jail configuration parameters for that reason.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Is there a bug report for this? I installed a new jail on 9.3. I noticed it had the wrong IP, so I enabled DHCP and it still has the old/incorrect IP. Is DHCP running on FreeNAS for the jails? or does using DHCP mean the jail should reach out on whatever network interface it has? Maybe I misunderstand the intent behind the DHCP option.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
After trying to mod the existing plugin/jail, I gave up, reinstalled and now see that DHCP is working (pulling an IP from my network). yea!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

diskdiddler

Wizard

Let me rephrase - jails are a convenience feature of FreeNAS and not really central to its mission, which is to be a NAS. If you want to create a jail, we will let you. After that, you are on your own. We do not provide extensive UI for customizing, updating or dealing with jail configuration parameters for that reason.

Is this clearly documented? I recall discussing this with people before the introduction of 9.3 and was told jails should not be impacted. They may not be critical but they are important.
Is there a document somewhere of "what to do, before transitioning from 9.2.x to 9.3" ? Seems obvious to me, one notable thing is to manually set IP's for your jails ....... (which I have no problem with - but I stumbled onto this thread accidentally!)

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The bug is being worked on. It's not just an upgrade issue. It affects jails that go from static to dhcp on a fresh 9.3 install.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I appreciate the response. Regardless is there a definitive kind of "you should!!!!" do list before upgrading?
I'm reluctant to even consider 9.3 until 3-6 weeks time. I know I can backup my settings in the 9.2 gui but it downloads such a small file from the server, surely that doesn't contain everything (manually configured cron jobs / smart check timings etc) ?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
That is a good question. I haven't come across a list.

I've read that the backups are just that. They have every (I presume only UI related) setting and option to setup a new system.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I will wait patiently, I kind of miss the idea of solid release numbers without auto updates. I'd hate to have something hosed due to a bad auto update.
Is there a way to opt in to "stable" or something? or delay all updates by 2 weeks somehow?

J

jkh

The cited bug being worked on is for the transition case (static -> DHCP) and perhaps John will be able to figure out a way to enable DHCP for old jails as well (it should be a fairly simple matter of "retrofitting" them). That said, FreeNAS is still not going to upgrade old jails or otherwise manage the software in them, that's up to the user as I said before. I'm not sure how this is morphing into "9.3 impacted my jails when it promised not to!", however, since the issue at hand is essentially the opposite. People are trying to use a *new* jail feature with older jails. Your old jails are still fine, and if everyone just stuck with the static IP allocation that was all that was even possible before 9.3 came out, they wouldn't even be seeing a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.