SOLVED After upgrade to 9.3 trying to enable DHCP in existing jails does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestboy

Contributor
People are trying to use a *new* jail feature with older jails.
I believe the "no new features with old configuration" approach is the only viable. But when I put on my "naive user goggles (TM)", I can see a problem with the current state:
A user has a version 9.2 jail with a static IP and upgrades to 9.3. Everything is fine out of the box. The jail continues to get its static IP and works as before. But when the user roams the GUI to find all the goodies available with the new version, he will find an option to enable DHCP for his old jail. He might think "Oh great, I can finally get rid of the reserved range for static IPs and go DHCP all the way. What a great new feature."
But what he does not know, is that this option is version dependent and does not apply to his old jail.

Ideally the DHCP option would only be available in the GUI, when it is actually applicable. In order to do so, the GUI would have to be aware of the jail version...

If that ideal solution is not possible, then
(a) it should be ensured that the option is gracefully ignored/harmless when enabled and inapplicable
(b) the user should be informed about the limited scope of the option in the manual as well as the field description in the GUI. It might not prevent him from enabling it in the first place, but it will provide him the necessary information once he figures out that it does not work as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.