Jails - not obtaining an IP address from DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0redom

Dabbler
Hi All,
I'm having problems with Jails not picking up an IP address from my DHCP server.

I've created a FreeNAS VM with a bunch of tiny disks (as RAID-Z) and 8GB RAM, using the latest stable 9.3 build. I should point out that this is for testing purposes at this stage - I plan to deploy on physical kit with ECC RAM etc.

I pointed the Jails root at the top of ZFS pool.
I enabled IPv4 DHCP.

I created a new jail called 'testone' and it seems to have been created fine, but is not picking up an IP address.
I can log in to the jail using either the web gui or jexec, and I've added the MAC address of the NIC inside the jail to my DHCP server to bind it to a static IP address.

On the DHCP server, I can see requests from the jail for an IP and the DHCP server responding back, but the response never gets to the jail.

Is there some firewally stuff I need to enable/disable/modify? Any other ideas I can try? All traffic is on 192.168.0.0/24, and there is no routing involved.

D

dlavigne

Is there some firewally stuff I need to enable/disable/modify? Any other ideas I can try? All traffic is on 192.168.0.0/24, and there is no routing involved.

There's no firewall on the FN system. Is there one somewhere else in the network that might be intercepting the packets?

b0redom

Dabbler
Nope. It's a completely flat network and FreeNas itself is getting a DHCP address from the same DHCP server.

D

dlavigne

Which version of Freenas? Does updating to the latest SU fix the issue?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You say it's in a VM. What hypervisor? Or is this on virtualbox?

Is your VM settings set to NAT or anything funky?

b0redom

Dabbler
ESX 5.5. No weird NAT or anything, and like I say the FreeNAS NIC is getting an IP address, it's just the jail that isn't.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
NP. It's a similar issue when trying to run firewalls/routers/web filters on esxi. ;)

b0redom

Dabbler
Jails do seem a little temperamental on FreeNAS 9.3 though. The first one I created seemed be created, but never appeared. It's odd because the files all appear to have been created. It's just not appeared in the FreeNAS interface, and a jls shows the first jail as JID 2.

I tried creating a jail on real, physical tin, and it all seemed to go OK, but then FreeNAS dropped off the network. The jail is still listening though. :eek:

When I get back home I'll check out what happened, but it seems like it would be sensible to get it working and then not touch it again. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.