Advice request for TrueNAS SCALE server hardware configuration

Naweap

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to replace my current unstable Raspberry Pi infrastructure with a proper TrueNAS SCALE server.

Here is what I'm planning to host :

- A personal cloud service
- A personal git service
- Probably around 2 to 3 web applications

Those various services will probably run on virtual machines. The goal is to have enough resources for this.
I also would like to have some kind of performances buffer which will give me the opportunity to add a few extra services / VMs for testing purposes.

In term of storage, my current data required 150GB of disk space. But this will probably keep growing by the future.
Since the most critical topic for me is the integrity of the data, I planned to configure RAIDz2.

Here is what I'm planning to order as hardware configuration :

- Mortherboard : SUPERMICRO X11SCH-F (MBD-X11SCH-F-O)
- CPU : Intel Xeon E-2236 3,4 GHz
- RAM : 2x Crucial 32GB DDR4 2666 MT/s UDIMM
- Powersupply : Seasonic Focus GX (650 W)
- NVM SDD (for OS) : WD Red SN700 (250 GB)
- SDD (for VMs) : 2x WD Red SA500 (1 TB)
- HDD (for data) : 5x WD Red Plus (4 TB)
- Case : Fractal Nœud 804

Regarding cooling, I don't have specific components in mind. One of my friends who already set up his own TrueNAS SCALE server has some additional fans. I might take his unless you have better recommendations obviously.

Please feel free to give me some advices regarding my configuration. It's the first time I'm gonna set up my own NAS so I'm not really aware the best hardware components for that purpose.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Looks pretty good to me.

What you could change is the disks. To reduce power consumption going for fewer but larger disk might be an option. So instead of your RAIDZ2, which gives a round 12 TB net capacity, you could also have a 3-way mirror with 12 or 14 TB drives.

Alternatively, if 150 GB is really all you need right now, an all-SSD setup might also be an option.

Etorix

Wizard
I had to read twice to make sure I got the unit right: 150 GB, not 150 TB. o_O I'm just no longer used to measure storage in gigabytes…
For that, a 3-way mirror of 4 TB HDDs would do. Or an extra pair of SA500 for a stripe. Or just throw everything, data and VMs, on the same pair of SSDs if it fits. Or even go for all NVMe!
Then you may downsize the case and PSU because the Node 804 mostly makes sense for housing 8-10 HDDs and an all-SSD setup would run on a 200 W PSU.

But, for integrity, think about backing up the NAS. 3-2-1, and all that sort of things.

Naweap

Dabbler
Thanks for your replies.
What I forgot to mention is the data replication system I'm going to put in place with my friend. Since he also has a TrueNAS SCALE, we will use the replication service to store our data on each other's NAS. Instead of me, he has around 4 to 5 TB of data. That's also something to take into account. However, I might still optimize the storage as you mentioned.

Something else I'm wondering about is cooling. In particular the noise generated by the cooling system. My friend's NAS makes quite some noise with the fans. I would like to reduce this at the minimum. Do you have any suggestion regarding noise reduction fans or something similar ?

Etorix

Wizard
So your storage requirements are 5 TB + yours (0.15 TB + backup apps) + some anticipated growth. HDDs, here we go!

As for noise, fans are not the issue. The Node 804 is well cooled by 2-4 intake and 2 exhaust fans, all 120-140 mm and moving enough air with minimal noise. But the top mesh, which also contributes to cooling drives, lets the humming and buzzing drive noise out.
The solution here would be a different case, for instance a tower with solid, noise-damped, panels all around. And, in any case, keeping the number of spinning drives low.

Naweap

Dabbler
According to your answer, I checked out different cases. However, for aesthetic issues I decided to keep the same.
I think my workaround for the noise issue will be to pick up the right place in my house to put the NAS.

I just ordered all the components. Since the motherboard I planned to buy isn't in stock at the moment, I replaced it with the Supermicro MBD-X11SCH-LN4F which is the same one with 4 Ethernet ports instead of 2. That way I should receive all the components by the end of next week.

Thanks again for your advices and I wish you a great day.

Naweap

Dabbler
A quick update regarding my case. I just received all the components. I'm so excited to start building my first TrueNAS !
However, I noticed the CPU was not delivered with a default fan. This brings me to the following question:
Do you have any recommendation for a great CPU fan matching my setup? The most important points are:
  • Good air flow
  • Reduce noise as much as possible
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Etorix

Wizard
Just about any consumer cooler for LGA1151 will do. There's plenty of space in the case so size isn't an issue but, taking the Noctua range of coolers as an example, I would not go above a NH-U9 or U12.

Naweap

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply. Because of some delivery delays, I went for a standard be quiet.

joeschmuck

Old Man
A lot of this is personal preference but while I prefer APC, I am now using a CyberPower UPS due to availability and cost. You want one that uses a USB cable to connect to the NAS, it reports the UPS condition and allows the NAS to power down before a sudden loss of power. So that data cable is very important. I would recommend a 1500VA capacity as well, but that is personal preference as well. I like this capacity because it can handle powering a monitor and other equipment if you desired. The most important part is allowing the NAS to run at least 5 minutes. Mine will run for about 40 minutes. But my TrueNAS settings are to shutdown after 5 minutes if power is not restored. A safe and proper shutdown is more important to me than leaving the NAS online longer, but I also factor in brief power outages/brown outs.

To be honest, if power goes out where I live, it's out for a few seconds or it's out for hours, never 30 seconds and back on.

See what is available in your area.

Have you read this thread? There is a section on UPS selection.

Naweap

Dabbler
A lot of this is personal preference but while I prefer APC, I am now using a CyberPower UPS due to availability and cost. You want one that uses a USB cable to connect to the NAS, it reports the UPS condition and allows the NAS to power down before a sudden loss of power. So that data cable is very important. I would recommend a 1500VA capacity as well, but that is personal preference as well. I like this capacity because it can handle powering a monitor and other equipment if you desired. The most important part is allowing the NAS to run at least 5 minutes. Mine will run for about 40 minutes. But my TrueNAS settings are to shutdown after 5 minutes if power is not restored. A safe and proper shutdown is more important to me than leaving the NAS online longer, but I also factor in brief power outages/brown outs.

To be honest, if power goes out where I live, it's out for a few seconds or it's out for hours, never 30 seconds and back on.

See what is available in your area.

Have you read this thread? There is a section on UPS selection.

Thanks for your reply. Based on your suggestion, I've done a bit of research to find out the best alternative between quality and price. UPS supporting a 1500VA capacity are out of my budget and from my opinion, a bit overestimated for my NAS. I find out the APC SMT750I which fits most of the criteria. 1 USB port, 750VA and a 5 minutes runtime at high usage. Do you think this model might fit my needs?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have no idea how many watts of power your NAS uses. The UPS you selected will run for less than 4 minutes at a 500W max load, 7 minutes with a 400W load, or 12 minutes with a 300W load according to the APC website. My NAS alone uses 60% of my UPS capacity at idle (4 drives spinning) which is approximately 630W, but then again I am running on ESXi so I'm sure there is power being used for things other than the NAS function. My system also was not build around high power efficiency and is old compared to newer systems.

My advice, if you know what your system power usage is, then purchase an UPS based on the power needs to at least run the system long enough to perform an orderly shutdown. If you use the 750VA unit and you find out you draw 500W of power at idle (let's hope it's not that much), you may need to set the shutdown timer to 1 minute. But then again, as long as your data is safe, that is the goal. So figure out the power draw then buy an UPS based on that requirement.

I would recommend that once you have your system setup, without a lot of important data, unplug the UPS to simulate a power loss. Make sure the NAS powers off as it should in an orderly fashion before the UPS powers off. You never want to find out the hard way if it doesn't work.

Sorry I couldn't just tell you to buy product X and all will be good. It's never that easy.

Best of luck, hope the project turns out well.