8.0.4 coming soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm brand-spankin' new to FreeNAS as of today. I'm happy to report that I not only installed 8.0.4-RELEASE, but also updated to 8.0.4-MULTIMEDIA via GUI (when I found out mt-daapd/firefly wasn't included) without any issues. I'm running the 64-bit image as well.

Quick specs:

HP MicroServer N40L
4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 ECC
6TB RAIDZ (8TB actual, 2x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003)

I have a (hopefully) brief question about firefly and this may or may not be the correct place to ask it, but there's a lot in the forums and it's a bit overwhelming at this point. I was able to get firefly up and running without too much trouble and confirmed that it could stream audio without any issues. However, it appears to have a problem with video. I can scan and share them just fine, but they don't play. From what I understand, there could two reasons for this:

1) Firefly has issues with video streaming - period. As in it will not work no matter how much I threaten it with the roofing hammer downstairs.
2) General incompatibility with iTunes 10.5.2+ and firefly in general. This seems to be directed more toward audio.

I also read (probably on these forums) that there were plans to include forked-daapd in FreeNAS 8 at some point. Is this still on the table? Does it have better video streaming support?

I won't even get into AppleTV 2 and the fact that it requires a Home Share to see content. GRRR.

If this question should be here instead, please let me know.
First, Welcome to FreeNAS.

I don't know if FireFly was designed to work on video files, even in iTunes.

As you indicated, the better place to make this posting is in the other linked thread. Could you please post your question there and list the files/types that are giving you troubles. I have not setup FireFly since I loaded 8.0.4, only because my daughter uses iTunes, not me. I'm sure she would be happy to get all my music as well.

Mimic

Cadet
Hi guys, i dont know whats the problem in this moment, but since i shutdown my server last night and booted it today, i dont hav any write access right now. But in the volume permissions tab i got it set to allow for everyone to write but still im not able? I saw some had the same problem, so maybe its a bug since 8.0.x?
What could that be and how to fix this?
edit: wow the wierd thing is i got two folders on the nas (movies and pictures) i can access the movies folder but not the pictures one-.- why is that?...
thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hi guys, i dont know whats the problem in this moment, but since i shutdown my server last night and booted it today, i dont hav any write access right now. But in the volume permissions tab i got it set to allow for everyone to write but still im not able? I saw some had the same problem, so maybe its a bug since 8.0.x?
What could that be and how to fix this?
edit: wow the wierd thing is i got two folders on the nas (movies and pictures) i can access the movies folder but not the pictures one-.- why is that?...
thanks!
It's tuff to troubleshoot this but I recommend these steps...
1) Shut down your FreeNAS.
2) Remove your USN Flash drive and install a different one.
3) Download the full ISO of 8.0.4 (flavor you desire) and cut the CD-R.
4) Load the new USB drive fresh.
5) Auto mount your pool.
6) Create your shares.
7) Tell us if it works.

Sometimes things get corrupt and it could be anything. the first thing to do is try another boot drive and just see if your data is still in tact. Odds are it still is. If you have a complicated setup and you have your old config file then you can restore it and see where that leaves things.

I doubt 8.0.4-Release has any problems like what you are experiencing however I can't rule that out as a fact.

Post your results.

-Mark

tmacka88

Patron
Fixed my issue with this problem and am assuming that it will be the same for my GUI software upgrade problem as well. It was stupid safari (on Mac Lion). For some reason Safari has been getting worse with issues similar to this anyway a easy fix for anyone with same issue use a different browser such as firefox.

cheers

Passwort

Dabbler
Which is the SHA256 Checksum for the 64 Bit Image called "FreeNAS_x64.img.xz"?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Which is the SHA256 Checksum for the 64 Bit Image called "FreeNAS_x64.img.xz"?
Where are you looking at this file? I didn't see any files with this name.

Passwort

Dabbler
It's inside the .iso file
Isn't that the file you have to upload as FW update?

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's inside the .iso file
Isn't that the file you have to upload as FW update?
No, you need to download the files with the words "GUI_UPGRADE" in the title. There will be a matching pair, one has the firmware, the second has the sha value.

For example here is the path to FreeNAS 8.0.4 http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-8.0.4/
And you want to download the files named FREENAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz and FREENAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz.sha265.txt

Hope that helps.

ixion

Dabbler
Hopefully one of the developers could help you out. Worst case is you need to install 8.0.4-Release from the iso and rebuild your configuration. Hopefully it's not complex like some folks are. It would take me a good 30 minutes to redo mine.

So just to recap your steps (don't want to overlook the obvious) you do the following...
1) On your FreeNAS GUI
2) Settings tab, Advanced, Firmware Update
3) Select the location to store the upgrade on one of your hard drives
4) Select the firmware package named FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz (or remove MULTIMEDIA for that version) and in the correct path of course.
5) Enter the sumcheck value SHA256 (FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz) = 4bb6f1d83418348318dcd9dcc14dd7e6e4d7b69b0d6439fbe599ed20f4595d73
or SHA256 (FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz) = 49dfd4a34132ab0ecb4cf1a6848dbc4bb50a8b525fee6fcd11979aade7b219d5
6) Apply and the machine should now copy the firmware to your hard drive and then verify the sumcheck. If it fails you should see a message. If it passes your USB drive should be flashing and upgrading. Then your computer will reboot twice (normally for me that is).

Tell me if that is how you are doing this?

I'm seeing the same problem also, upgrading from GUI from FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x64 to 8.0.4-RELEASE. I reported it a while back here:
http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?5078-8-0-3-RELEASE-coming-soon&p=18886&viewfull=1#post18886

Basically, I have NEVER been able to upgrade from the GUI, all the way back to the original 8.0 release, I have done many upgrades manually, but GUI never works. It uploads the image and then just hangs, no error message. I have plenty of free space, so that's not the problem (see df -h below). I followed the above procedure, I'm using the correct checksum.

Let me know what other debug/log info you need. I'll be glad to help debug this issue since I would like to get it working. Thanks.

Code:
df -h 

Filesystem             Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs2a    927M    375M    477M    44%    /
devfs                  1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/md0               4.6M    1.8M    2.3M    44%    /etc
/dev/md1               824K    2.0K    756K     0%    /mnt
/dev/md2               149M     11M    126M     8%    /var
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4      20M    1.4M     17M     8%    /data
RAIDZ                  5.2T    4.5T    720G    87%    /mnt/RAIDZ

Code:
/var/log/messages

Mar 28 09:54:30 freenas freenas[1896]: Executing: /bin/rm -rf /var/tmp/firmware
Mar 28 09:54:31 freenas freenas[1896]: Executing: /bin/mkdir -p /mnt/RAIDZ/.freenas
Mar 28 09:54:31 freenas freenas[1896]: Executing: /usr/sbin/chown www:www /mnt/RAIDZ/.freenas
Mar 28 09:54:31 freenas freenas[1896]: Executing: /bin/ln -s /mnt/RAIDZ/.freenas /var/tmp/firmware

joeschmuck

Old Man
During the upgrade you say it just hangs. Can you be more specific as in, did the computer reboot and it hangs at that point, what is on the screen (console screen for the FreeNAS computer)? Try to be as descriptive as possible. Also, if you reboot manually does the system boot 8.0.3 or 8.0.4 or nothing at all? Does it display F1/F2 during the boot? If so, press F2 right away, force booting the alternate partition, if that fails (locks up) try F1. Keep in mind that the 2GB USB drive is divided into two 1GB partitions.

I'm curious if there is a hardware compatibility problem. Have you tried a different USB flash drive? I'd ask if you tried a different computer but that is a foolish question. How about a different USB port?

Did you build the 8.0.3 configuration file from scratch vice loading a previous configuration file? I only ask this question because you say you have had this problem since 8.0 and I know the configuration file did change. Maybe you could list your hardware. And last thing, back to the USB flash drive, how about formatting that flash drive to restore it to its formal glory. Maybe the second partition is causing problems?

Something you could do to aid in troubleshooting is (using Firefox):
1) Starting with 8.0.3, save your config file.
2) Reset to factory defaults and reboot.
3) Try GUI upgrade to 8.0.4, does it work?
4) If Yes then it's your configuration file, if No then it's not your configuration file.

Please post your results.

-Mark

ixion

Dabbler
During the upgrade you say it just hangs. Can you be more specific as in, did the computer reboot and it hangs at that point, what is on the screen (console screen for the FreeNAS computer)? Try to be as descriptive as possible. Also, if you reboot manually does the system boot 8.0.3 or 8.0.4 or nothing at all? Does it display F1/F2 during the boot? If so, press F2 right away, force booting the alternate partition, if that fails (locks up) try F1. Keep in mind that the 2GB USB drive is divided into two 1GB partitions.

I'm curious if there is a hardware compatibility problem. Have you tried a different USB flash drive? I'd ask if you tried a different computer but that is a foolish question. How about a different USB port?

Did you build the 8.0.3 configuration file from scratch vice loading a previous configuration file? I only ask this question because you say you have had this problem since 8.0 and I know the configuration file did change. Maybe you could list your hardware. And last thing, back to the USB flash drive, how about formatting that flash drive to restore it to its formal glory. Maybe the second partition is causing problems?

Something you could do to aid in troubleshooting is (using Firefox):
1) Starting with 8.0.3, save your config file.
2) Reset to factory defaults and reboot.
3) Try GUI upgrade to 8.0.4, does it work?
4) If Yes then it's your configuration file, if No then it's not your configuration file.

Please post your results.

-Mark

Thanks for the reply. Here are some answers.

- By "just hangs", I mean that right after transferring the image, the "upgrading" GUI window just stays there, the console window at the bottom displays the messages below, and the computer does not reboot, I eventually (I've left it for an hour) just close the "upgrading" window and nothing happens, if I reboot manually, it is still at 8.0.3

- I have tried a different USB port, no success

- regarding F1/F2, it is a headless unit, no monitor or keyboard attached, so I have not tried that yet

- I did not build the 8.0.3 config file from scratch, when I went from 8.0.1-BETA1 to 8.0.1-BETA3, I changed USB stick to a larger 8GB stick, I did a clean CD install, then restored my config, the problem persisted across different USB sticks

- I don't think it's a partition issue because I'm able to upgrade manually from CLI and it switches partitions correctly, I've done this several times manually

- I have not tried a factory default reset, maybe that will be my next step, a shame to loose all my config though

My machine:
Intel Core2 Duo Processor E8200
Gigabyte motherboad EG45M-DS2H, G45 chipset, ICH10R southbridge
4GB RAM
8GB USB stick
4 x 2TB SATA RAIDZ
Using Google Chrome Browser 17.0.963.83 for management GUI, also tried Firefox and Explorer same issue

Code:
Mar 28 09:54:31 freenas freenas[1896]: Executing: /bin/mkdir -p /mnt/RAIDZ/.freenas
Mar 28 09:54:31 freenas freenas[1896]: Executing: /usr/sbin/chown www:www /mnt/RAIDZ/.freenas
Mar 28 09:54:31 freenas freenas[1896]: Executing: /bin/ln -s /mnt/RAIDZ/.freenas /var/tmp/firmware

joeschmuck

Old Man
@ixion
I would first connect up a monitor to the FreeNAS computer while you are doing the upgrade. It will likely give you some additional clues and data you can post here. You should always connect up the monitor if you are having any installation problems or problems booting it up.

It is very possible the config file is causing your problem, I've seen it before but I still recommend resetting to factory defaults and then try the upgrade. If it fails than just restore your config file and you haven't lost anything but know it wasn't the config file causing your headaches.

-Mark

G

gcooper

Thanks for the reply. Here are some answers.

- By "just hangs", I mean that right after transferring the image, the "upgrading" GUI window just stays there, the console window at the bottom displays the messages below, and the computer does not reboot, I eventually (I've left it for an hour) just close the "upgrading" window and nothing happens, if I reboot manually, it is still at 8.0.3

Code:

Probably this issue: http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1425 .

pellegj

Dabbler
ZFS import

8.0.4 cannot import ZFS volumes, at least not my volume. 8.0.3 works.
My USB key died on me, so i downloaded 8.0.4 and installed it on another USB key and started up my server. Got a bit scarred when the GUI did not find my ZFS volume. Luckily the CLI could so i knew the volume was still there. Ran 8.0.3 instead and that found and imported my volume without problem.

G

gcooper

8.0.4 cannot import ZFS volumes, at least not my volume. 8.0.3 works.
My USB key died on me, so i downloaded 8.0.4 and installed it on another USB key and started up my server. Got a bit scarred when the GUI did not find my ZFS volume. Luckily the CLI could so i knew the volume was still there. Ran 8.0.3 instead and that found and imported my volume without problem.

What's the error that you're receiving?

G

gcooper

Hi!
No error, it just did not find the volume. With "Import" it just lists the individual drives, and with "Auto import" it just showed an empty dropdown.

1. Import doesn't work for ZFS import; only auto-import does.
2. What happens when you try and execute...
Code:
zpool import -R /mnt my-pool-name; echo $?

... in 8.0.4?

pellegj

Dabbler
1. Import doesn't work for ZFS import; only auto-import does.
2. What happens when you try and execute...
Code:
zpool import -R /mnt my-pool-name; echo $?

... in 8.0.4?

As i said in my original post it worked in CLI with zpool import to see that the volume was intact in 8.0.4. But i could not get it to show up in GUI.
I tried to import in GUI after the zpool import, but it still would not show up. So i decided to try 8.0.3 and that worked without any problem. Just booted up, logged in and did the "Auto import" in GUI and it was found straight away.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
FreeNAS cannot import pools already imported from CLI, that is the reason, there is nothing wrong with 8.0.4 in that matter

G

gcooper

FreeNAS cannot import pools already imported from CLI, that is the reason, there is nothing wrong with 8.0.4 in that matter

Yes, but the question is.. why did the GUI and the CLI get out of synch? The reason why I asked for him to import from the CLI was that I wanted to see whether or not there was an issue importing the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.