8.0.4 coming soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ismael Duarte

Contributor
Ok. So it's another issue with uploading / installing the image... I'll jot that down for later. I've seen it before a handful of times in the past, mostly dealing with scenarios where the webserver couldn't write to the temporary store, but this is different as the logs didn't report that /var was full, etc.

I've updated twice since this post, I've always to use this method. Upgrade with GUI does not work anymore.

joeschmuck

Old Man

valesan

Patron
8.0.4 RELEASE MULTIMEDIA loaded via GUI without issue ;)
minidlna is ok

Durkatlon

Patron
Thanks for sending out an official release announcement this time. I haven't had time to keep up with these frantically paced threads lately, but it's nice to be informed of the final released build. I totally missed 8.0.3 :D.

Is there going to be a corresponding thread in this subforum?

joeschmuck

Old Man

tmacka88

Patron
Anone having trouble uploading there config file after upgrading. I came from 8.0.3, tried doing a GUI upgrade but is doing a similar thing to what it is doing when I try to upload my config file after I did a clean install of 8.0.4, it just reloads the web GUI page and nothing else. Is there a manual way I can get my config file uploaded?

thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
Anone having trouble uploading there config file after upgrading. I came from 8.0.3, tried doing a GUI upgrade but is doing a similar thing to what it is doing when I try to upload my config file after I did a clean install of 8.0.4, it just reloads the web GUI page and nothing else. Is there a manual way I can get my config file uploaded?

thanks
So the computer does not reboot? Do you have any failure messages?

tmacka88

Patron

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yep. It doesn't reboot at all and no error messages.

Hopefully one of the developers could help you out. Worst case is you need to install 8.0.4-Release from the iso and rebuild your configuration. Hopefully it's not complex like some folks are. It would take me a good 30 minutes to redo mine.

So just to recap your steps (don't want to overlook the obvious) you do the following...
1) On your FreeNAS GUI
2) Settings tab, Advanced, Firmware Update
3) Select the location to store the upgrade on one of your hard drives
4) Select the firmware package named FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz (or remove MULTIMEDIA for that version) and in the correct path of course.
5) Enter the sumcheck value SHA256 (FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz) = 4bb6f1d83418348318dcd9dcc14dd7e6e4d7b69b0d6439fbe599ed20f4595d73
or SHA256 (FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz) = 49dfd4a34132ab0ecb4cf1a6848dbc4bb50a8b525fee6fcd11979aade7b219d5
6) Apply and the machine should now copy the firmware to your hard drive and then verify the sumcheck. If it fails you should see a message. If it passes your USB drive should be flashing and upgrading. Then your computer will reboot twice (normally for me that is).

Tell me if that is how you are doing this?

valesan

Patron
Before step 1, I would stop all services... really important IMO.

also for me ;)
my nas takes a few minutes to update and I have to wait ...
then restarts!

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm not sure if it's related, but I was just testing out 8.2.0 Beta-1 and noticed the same problem. I created a test system, saved the settings, reinstalled from scratch (not upgrade), restored config, it SAID "Restarting", the GUI refreshed, but no settings were restored and the system did not restart.

EDIT: Well a manual restart from the console seemed to do the trick, at least with 8.2, my config/settings were restored.

G

gcooper

I'm not sure if it's related, but I was just testing out 8.2.0 Beta-1 and noticed the same problem. I created a test system, saved the settings, reinstalled from scratch (not upgrade), restored config, it SAID "Restarting", the GUI refreshed, but no settings were restored and the system did not restart.

EDIT: Well a manual restart from the console seemed to do the trick, at least with 8.2, my config/settings were restored.

Does it say "shutting down", etc in /var/log/messages? A series of changes were made to give services a chance to properly shutdown the system, and there might be a hangup somewhere in there..

G

gcooper

Hopefully one of the developers could help you out. Worst case is you need to install 8.0.4-Release from the iso and rebuild your configuration. Hopefully it's not complex like some folks are. It would take me a good 30 minutes to redo mine.

So just to recap your steps (don't want to overlook the obvious) you do the following...
1) On your FreeNAS GUI
4) Select the firmware package named FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz (or remove MULTIMEDIA for that version) and in the correct path of course.
5) Enter the sumcheck value SHA256 (FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz) = 4bb6f1d83418348318dcd9dcc14dd7e6e4d7b69b0d6439fbe599ed20f4595d73

It's checksum :).

or SHA256 (FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz) = 49dfd4a34132ab0ecb4cf1a6848dbc4bb50a8b525fee6fcd11979aade7b219d5
6) Apply and the machine should now copy the firmware to your hard drive and then verify the sumcheck. If it fails you should see a message. If it passes your USB drive should be flashing and upgrading. Then your computer will reboot twice (normally for me that is).

Currently, it will always boot up twice before being fully upgraded -- the first time is the configuration migration with the new OS version, the second time with the new OS version and the migrated config. I'd like to get this down to 1 reboot, but that would complicate things considerably in some situations with the current FreeNAS implementation.

tmacka88

Patron

1) On your FreeNAS GUI

Tell me if that is how you are doing this?

Yep did all of that.

tmacka88

Patron

punkl

Cadet
I'm brand-spankin' new to FreeNAS as of today. I'm happy to report that I not only installed 8.0.4-RELEASE, but also updated to 8.0.4-MULTIMEDIA via GUI (when I found out mt-daapd/firefly wasn't included) without any issues. I'm running the 64-bit image as well.

Quick specs:

HP MicroServer N40L
4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 ECC
6TB RAIDZ (8TB actual, 2x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003)

I have a (hopefully) brief question about firefly and this may or may not be the correct place to ask it, but there's a lot in the forums and it's a bit overwhelming at this point. I was able to get firefly up and running without too much trouble and confirmed that it could stream audio without any issues. However, it appears to have a problem with video. I can scan and share them just fine, but they don't play. From what I understand, there could two reasons for this:

1) Firefly has issues with video streaming - period. As in it will not work no matter how much I threaten it with the roofing hammer downstairs.
2) General incompatibility with iTunes 10.5.2+ and firefly in general. This seems to be directed more toward audio.

I also read (probably on these forums) that there were plans to include forked-daapd in FreeNAS 8 at some point. Is this still on the table? Does it have better video streaming support?

I won't even get into AppleTV 2 and the fact that it requires a Home Share to see content. GRRR.

If this question should be here instead, please let me know.

Simon00

Dabbler
FreeNAS 8.0.4-RELEASE w/ AIO disabled is good

Just want to say that I tested 8.0.4 Release earlier yesterday and today and CIFs are once again nice and fast, just like builds before 8.0.3... With CIFs AIO disabled, LAN activity no longer drops during disk writes/reads.

thanx..

Status
Not open for further replies.