13th Gen iGPU QuickSYNC passthrough to plex TrueNAS CORE

jamielittle

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm trying to pass quicksync to plex. I'm running Promox and this found iGPU in the pic list so I have passed this to TrueNAS as below. Plex pass also purchased.

1696945109685.png

Now in TrueNAS I can see the iGPU as 4682 which according to https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/devices/hardware-table.html is the correct iGPU

1696945339633.png

What I can't now do is work out how to pass this to Plex...... Everything I find is for Scale, which give I have all my windows server AD integrated I rather not start the whole TrueNAS install again. I assume there are some files I need to edit to get this to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jamielittle

Dabbler
Ok updated to TrueNAS scale.... Didn't help :frown:

So still setup via Proxmox with host as CPU so TureNAS sees the 13400

1697025412062.png

And the iGPU (Tried both as isolated and un-isolated)

1697025522274.png

But in Plex I get nothing...

1697025638928.png

Seems alot of hard work to migrate over to Scale wasn't really worth it.... Any help as before is gladly welcomed!

Attachments

• 1697025504218.png
    1697025504218.png
    321.1 KB · Views: 66

LarsR

Guru
13th gen is not yet supported by scale and core dropped hw transcoding support as far as i know.
You could try to update your scale to cobia RC1 and see if the newer 6.1 Debian kernel fixes your problems.

jamielittle

Dabbler
13th gen is not yet supported by scale and core dropped hw transcoding support as far as i know.
You could try to update your scale to cobia RC1 and see if the newer 6.1 Debian kernel fixes your problems.
Thanks, I'll clone then the VM and try it there just in case lol

jamielittle

Dabbler
Yeah no luck, guess I'll just have to wait lol, not too much CPU use to transcode 8k to 1080p but 11-25% is more than I was expecting

@jamielittle - Can you run through your configuration? I have a similar setup with Proxmox and iGPU passthrough on a 12th GEN, but even though my system shows the Plex app configured to use the iGPU and I have configured to "Allocate 1" - I am unable to get the HW Transcoding active and everything is hammering the CPU:

This is my thread, but since you're also running Proxmox and everything is working, perhaps you can lend a hand or advise what or anything that I may have missed?

jamielittle

Dabbler
@jamielittle - Can you run through your configuration? I have a similar setup with Proxmox and iGPU passthrough on a 12th GEN, but even though my system shows the Plex app configured to use the iGPU and I have configured to "Allocate 1" - I am unable to get the HW Transcoding active and everything is hammering the CPU:

This is my thread, but since you're also running Proxmox and everything is working, perhaps you can lend a hand or advise what or anything that I may have missed?

I stepped away from proxmox as it was to much of headache and have truenas running on it own now but you should be able to hand the igpu off to truenas in proxmox tho. You'll need to go to the VM and hand the pci device over but that is where my headache started....

@jamielittle - That's the thing. I have been able to get it to fully pass. I even have the ability to select it and isolate it in both TrueNAS and in the Plex app. Alas, it's not switched to HW transcoding, ever.

jamielittle

Dabbler
Yeah looks like you got closer than I did, but in the end I put my other VMs onto little low power NUC machines (Only an extra 10-20watts for two of then at my UPS) and run Truenas on its own and all works really well. Think the issue is that Proxmox needs the iGPU to run (even if headless like mine) so it never truly passes it over hence you not seeing all the 5 or so iGPU in Truenas, so if you really need Proxmox then a seperate GPU would be required (other threads available for this but I didn't want the extra power draw cica 75watts min on my UPS). If your VMs can run in Truenas then swap to Truenas as the main OS should sort your issues.

Yeah looks like you got closer than I did, but in the end I put my other VMs onto little low power NUC machines (Only an extra 10-20watts for two of then at my UPS) and run Truenas on its own and all works really well. Think the issue is that Proxmox needs the iGPU to run (even if headless like mine) so it never truly passes it over hence you not seeing all the 5 or so iGPU in Truenas, so if you really need Proxmox then a seperate GPU would be required (other threads available for this but I didn't want the extra power draw cica 75watts min on my UPS). If your VMs can run in Truenas then swap to Truenas as the main OS should sort your issues.
I do have the isolated GPU on the GTX-1650, with the iGPU in full passthrough.

Unfortunately, I need the single server to run as a Hypervisor via Proxmox to host all the VMs. Can't separate them into different machines.

jamielittle

Dabbler
I do have the isolated GPU on the GTX-1650, with the iGPU in full passthrough.

Unfortunately, I need the single server to run as a Hypervisor via Proxmox to host all the VMs. Can't separate them into different machines.
Cool, have a look at some other threads as they do talk about seperate GPUs maybe you find some answers there? Would imagine it's that same process tho by passing the PCI in Proxmox to Truenas, maybe some files to edit tho?

Cool, have a look at some other threads as they do talk about seperate GPUs maybe you find some answers there? Would imagine it's that same process tho by passing the PCI in Proxmox to Truenas, maybe some files to edit tho?
Correct - That is the issue most folks run into. They can't get passthrough working. But that's not at all what I'm facing. My issue is that even though TrueNAS sees and fully controls the iGPU via passthrough, it never activates it for whatever reason.

That's part of the issue, lots of folks struggling with getting passthrough, but for me it's literally just...not using it, even though it's there.

jamielittle

Dabbler
Correct - That is the issue most folks run into. They can't get passthrough working. But that's not at all what I'm facing. My issue is that even though TrueNAS sees and fully controls the iGPU via passthrough, it never activates it for whatever reason.

That's part of the issue, lots of folks struggling with getting passthrough, but for me it's literally just...not using it, even though it's there.
Are you passing both to Truenas and then Plex?

Are you passing both to Truenas and then Plex?
No. Only the iGPU is in passthrough. The 1650 is the board running the Proxmox backend and isn't in passthrough.

jamielittle

Dabbler
Ah cool that would confuse it lol. I would try swapping them (not 100% sure what your transcoding or the performance) by allowing the iGPU to deal with proxmox and the GPU to Truenas and see it works as you require?

Ah cool that would confuse it lol. I would try swapping them (not 100% sure what your transcoding or the performance) by allowing the iGPU to deal with proxmox and the GPU to Truenas and see it works as you require?
Not enough guts with the 1650, unfortunately. Just a crap situation - especially since everything I can find should say this should work. The fact that TrueNAS loads the kernel modules is the thing that is really making me pull my hair out. If the kernel sees it, and Plex sees it, why doesn't it use the bloody thing?!

jamielittle

Dabbler
I feel your pain! Sadly it's a Proxmox thing (I believe) coz it deffo works with just Truenas as a stand alone OS. As before maybe migrate to TrueNAS OS and use it for your VMs?