SOLVED 13th gen support for TrueNAS Scale

jace92

Dabbler
Hey guys!

So... I just had my gut punched when I found out that the new present for myself (a current generation build) isn't fully supported by TrueNAS Scale. I had done tons of research and saving of money for the components themselves and I was ecstatic when it was finally built... For all of a day. After 2+ weeks of different issues the icing on the cake is I just found out that my i5-13400 can't have the iGPU utilized by Plex and that the E-cores might not be functional either. I've done yet MORE research in the last few hours relating to the 13th gen support and I'm seeing that it might not be something that happens until, at the earliest, Cobia is released. (insert sad emoji here banging his head against the desk)

My question is, as someone who is still somewhat new to Linux, could someone explain what the significance of the 6.x kernel is for Raptor Lake? Or even to Linux in general? I've read here that the 6.x kernel will allow support for Raptor Lake CPUs but I also read here that there is a chance that Cobia might not be released with the right 6.x kernel. What happens if it's not sent with the right kernel? Would iXSystems/whoeveriscallingtheshots (forgive my ignorance) release an update knowing it wouldn't be fully compatible with all current hardware? I've not been around enough with TrueNAS/Linux in general to know if that happens a lot.

And before anyone says it... I know now that my choice to buy the latest gen CPU was wrong...

Any insight would be welcome!

Tarkhein

Cadet
That's not strictly true, myself I'm running an Intel Core i5 13500 and passing the iGPU to Jellyfin for hardware acceleration just fine in SCALE.
From the shell, first you need to get the hardware ID for your iGPU using the instructions here: https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/devices/hardware-table.html
Code:
lspci -nn | grep  -Ei 'VGA|DISPLAY'

According to the specifications for the 13400 on ARK, you should get either 4782 or A782

Once you have the hardware ID, you then need to apply:

Code:
sudo midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "i915.force_probe=XXXX"}'

Replacing XXXX with the hardware ID you got above.

Restart TrueNAS to make sure it's applied.

Go back to your Plex application settings and select the Intel iGPU

jace92

Dabbler
Would TrueNAS still be able to use the display or would that not work once passed through? I have had to access the system with a mouse and keyboard a few times for troubleshooting and it sounds like I wouldn't be able to see the output anymore, is that correct? I did see suggestions like this to pass through the igpu but I was hesitant to do it when I was reading up on things at 11 last night.

jace92

Dabbler
I guess a follow-up question would be can I "undo" that modification once official support is added to Scale?

jace92

Dabbler
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -Ei 'VGA|DISPLAY'

According to the specifications for the 13400 on ARK, you should get either 4782 or A782

According to your link it said to expect 0x4682/0xA782

This is the result of my running the lspci query:

Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:4682] (rev 0c)

Before I try this, I hope to get some answers to my two previous questions above if possible.

After typing that though, I guess I could restore from a backup at the very least...

Tarkhein

Cadet
You didn't read the instructions on this page: https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/devices/hardware-table.html
It says to look for [8086:XXXX]

Per the output you've pasted, it's 4682.

I can't answer your questions as I'm new to TrueNAS and Linux myself and run TrueNAS headless. I suspect there is no issue with continuing to use it for display output as it's not isolating it for use only in a VM (that's a different setting), just exposing it for applications to use.

jace92

Dabbler
You didn't read the instructions on this page: https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/devices/hardware-table.html
It says to look for [8086:XXXX]

Per the output you've pasted, it's 4682.

I did actually read them, my comment was just to say that it didn't come back with the results that were expected. I could have phrased it different but I did this last night while doing other things so verbiage wasn't highest on my list.

I can't answer your questions as I'm new to TrueNAS and Linux myself and run TrueNAS headless. I suspect there is no issue with continuing to use it for display output as it's not isolating it for use only in a VM (that's a different setting), just exposing it for applications to use.

The thing is is it didn't do that. I lost the feed on my monitor and I still didn't have the option for passing through the igpu so I had to revert back.

On a side note, my 4682 id is for Alder Lake and not Raptor Lake which is weird...

cmplieger

Dabbler
@Tarkhein it seems that the i5 13500 shows up as an alder lake S GPU which is interesting. That may explain why it is easy to get working. As I understand it the 13Th gen iGPUs in general are causing more issues then 12th. the 13600K for example shows up as a raptor lake GPU.

krische

Cadet
That's not strictly true, myself I'm running an Intel Core i5 13500 and passing the iGPU to Jellyfin for hardware acceleration just fine in SCALE.
From the shell, first you need to get the hardware ID for your iGPU using the instructions here: https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/devices/hardware-table.html
Code:
lspci -nn | grep  -Ei 'VGA|DISPLAY'

Once you have the hardware ID, you then need to apply:

Code:
sudo midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "i915.force_probe=XXXX"}'

Replacing XXXX with the hardware ID you got above.

Go back to your Plex application settings and select the Intel iGPU
This was all you had to do? I performed these steps with my 13500 and I could still not get the GPU to show up in the selection for apps.

jace92

Dabbler
This was all you had to do? I performed these steps with my 13500 and I could still not get the GPU to show up in the selection for apps.
Same for me on my 13400. After following what was mentioned it didn't work.

cmplieger

Dabbler
beta 1 of Cobia should be out on the 15th with a linux 6.x kernel and 13th gen, iGPU, and intel arc support if all goes well

jace92

Dabbler
Updating here that Cobia did in fact fix my issue and HW transcoding has been working flawlessly!

underpickled

Contributor
I'm running into the same issue on Cobia with a 12th gen processor (12600K). I managed to get the iGPU to show up in the GPU isolation list through BIOS config, but I can't isolate it to run in my VM (gives an error), nor does it show up under GPU options for the Plex app. Adding the force probe option did not seem to have any impact. Has anyone found another way to get the iGPU to show up?