Plex with QuickSync - Truenas Scale

Hi All,

I reviewd multiple posts in this forum and reserached a lot on google, however I cannot find my answer!

Current Setup
  • 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400 @ 2.60GHz
  • TrueNAS-SCALE-Bluefin
  • Plex (Official Chart) - App
During some stress tests using Plex, it is clear the QuickSync transcoding is not in use. The CPU is always 100% even just to transcode subtitles.

There is any way that I can passthougt the iGPU of QuickSync in the container so I can take advantage of this tech ? I'm using TrueNas Scale, so no Jail available.
Please help!
Davide

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Sure! When you deploy the App, take a look at the GPU section and make sure you have it set to 'Allocate 1' like this.

1680526918526.png

On the Plex side you may need to check your settings as well, ensure that it is trying to use the GPU after that point.

aphexcloud

Cadet
Sure! When you deploy the App, take a look at the GPU section and make sure you have it set to 'Allocate 1' like this.

View attachment 65374

On the Plex side you may need to check your settings as well, ensure that it is trying to use the GPU after that point.
can you please elaborate on why there are up to 5 (in my case) and if adding the 5 will improve performance of the plex app when transcoding?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-06 123448.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-06 123448.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 470

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Checked with our team, but that is a way to handle time-sharing of your GPU between Containers. So you would assign GPU 1 to container 1, GPU2 to container 2, etc etc.

slayercft

Cadet
GPU settings.png

I know this is an older thread, but I'm having the same issue. However whenever I'm editing the plex app, theres nothing to click there. What am I doing wrong? I have it enabled from the Plex dashboard. I dont see any option in my bios (on an S1200RPS) pertaining to Intel Quick Sync

*TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.2
*Truenas charts plex official 1.32.4.7195_1.7.52
*Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz (supports intel quick sync)

I tried playing a 4k movie earlier down to 1080, and cpu hit 100% load and got up to 85 ...It's like all the options to GPU configuration are just greyed out. I feel like this is something dumb that I've just wholly missed.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
That makes it sound like the onboard GPU isn't being recognized for some reason. Check /dev/dri/* and see if you have any devices there, and I'd suggest reviewing /var/log/messages to see if there are any messages at boot-up from the kernel about DRM/DRI not being able to initialize.

> cat /var/log/messages | grep i915

Barring that, you can open a bug ticket for us to investigate, but first thing to do is see if the kernel even recognizes that Xeon as having built-in GPU/Quicksync.

slayercft

Cadet
That makes it sound like the onboard GPU isn't being recognized for some reason. Check /dev/dri/* and see if you have any devices there, and I'd suggest reviewing /var/log/messages to see if there are any messages at boot-up from the kernel about DRM/DRI not being able to initialize.

> cat /var/log/messages | grep i915

Barring that, you can open a bug ticket for us to investigate, but first thing to do is see if the kernel even recognizes that Xeon as having built-in GPU/Quicksync.
appreciate the reply! sorry for late response. I'm also very new to this, very little experience but am trying.

admin@truenas[~]$ sudo cat /var/log/messages | grep i915
admin@truenas[~]$ cd /dev/dri/
admin@truenas[/dev/dri]$ ls
by-path card0

Basically no response on the logs, and only shows card0?

following another thread, I think maybe its not detecting it. Seems it only finds one VGA controller, I assume my motherboards... Not sure how to proceed.

admin@truenas[/dev/dri]$ ls
by-path card0
admin@truenas[/dev/dri]$
admin@truenas[/dev/dri]$ ls -alh /dev/dri
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 80 Jul 18 00:48 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 6.2K Jul 18 00:49 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Jul 18 00:48 by-path
crw-rw---- 1 root video 226, 0 Jul 18 00:48 card0
admin@truenas[/dev/dri]$ lspci | grep -i vga
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200e [Pilot] ServerEngines (SEP1) (rev 05)
admin@truenas[/dev/dri]$

EDIT: updated to includ only one vga controller

Last edited:

sretalla