Xeon server build, looking for recommendations on parts please

Deeda

Explorer
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a second TrueNAS server. The parts I already have are as follows:

To finish off the build would need a motherboard, case, PSU, heatsink/fan, necessary cables, HBA, etc.
Cheers,
Deeda

Nick2253

Wizard
Where are you located? US? EU? AU?

Define 7 XL is a decent case option. You don't have a ton of options for 12 3.5" drives in a desktop form-factor.

For the HBA, depending on what motherboard you get, a single -8i would probably do it. If you need more, then you could get a -16i, though 2x -8i's are probably cheaper.

I would just stick with the stock heatsink. If you don't have that, then I'd probably get something from Noctua, especially since you're going for "quiet".

Deeda

Explorer
Located in AU.

Thanks for the tips on the HBA.

Been spending time looking at various motherboards. I see there are a lot of generic LGA2011 Chinese motherboards floating around. Anyone used them in a TrueNAS build, or too risky?

Not a lot of them seem to support DDR4, and no clear mention of registered memory support, just ECC normally.

Etorix

Wizard
12 spinning drives are never going to be fully quiet…
If you use SATA instead of SAS drives you can rely on motherboard SATA ports and get away with a single 8i HBA.

I suspect that these "generic LGA2011 Chinese motherboards" are X99 and target gaming on Core-X on the cheap. How they work as servers with a Xeon E5 is a complete unknown, and the manufacturer has probably dropped support and development the moment the batch was put up for sale. Short of a recommended Supermicro board, try at least to find a "generic SERVER motherboard".

EFW

Cadet
As a side note, if you only require 8 HDD on the server and the motherboard has 8 SATA ports, what would be the best way to connect them, via the onboard SATA ports or a HBA?

Etorix

Wizard
The answer is in the question. If the motherboard provides enough ports, it is easier to plug SATA drives directly to the motherboard.
Unless the drives are on a SAS backplane which is best connected to a SAS HBA.

Reactions: EFW

Deeda

Explorer
The answer is in the question.
You're a bit prickly mate, you ok?

EFW might have been asking, to clarify if it was better from a performance point of view, to run SATA drives via a SAS HBA vs "ONBOARD ports". Of course that raises further questions, so don't be upset.

EFW

Cadet
The answer is in the question. If the motherboard provides enough ports, it is easier to plug SATA drives directly to the motherboard.
Unless the drives are on a SAS backplane which is best connected to a SAS HBA.
Thankyou

EFW

Cadet
EFW might have been asking, to clarify if it was better from a performance point of view, to run SATA drives via a SAS HBA vs "ONBOARD ports". Of course that raises further questions, so don't be upset.
That is correct, perhaps I should have included the performance part in my question.

Deeda

Explorer

neofusion

Contributor
Ok talking to a friend who is an expert on servers. They said I'll need at least 3000w for the amount of hard drives I am putting in. Looking at one of these https://usa-m.banggood.com/3450W-Mi...05.html?akmClientCountry=AU&a=1656043150.8113

I'm sure a number of you here have used the same in your builds.
Wait, what? Did the specs change from 12 HDD:s to something much higher?
A 750W - 850W PSU will handle 12-14 drives just fine.

Definitely do not buy the linked PSU, it's a hack job (and likely fire hazard), much less 80 Plus certified.

ChrisRJ

Wizard

Definitely do not buy the linked PSU, it's a hack job (and likely fire hazard), much less 80 Plus certified.
I second this (esp. not going for this obscure miner PSU). It might not hurt to go a little bit higher (1 kW), but 3 kW is definitely way above what is needed for 12 drives.

Edit: For comparison, I am running 8 drives with a Seasonic 500 W PSU.

Jessep

Patron
Rule of thumb for SATA drives is 10w per drive, +~30% for spin up if they are not staggered.

So 150-175w for the drives alone.

Deeda

Explorer

Fair point. Thanks for the advice.

I've just ordered an ASRock Rack EPC612D4U-8R, the onboard SAS controller put this at the top of my list. That way I should only have to add a single PCIe HBA, instead of two.

Possibly a silly question, the motherboard comes with "2 x MiniSAS HD (12G) to 4 SAS/SATA Cables (6G) (60cm)", from the photo of the cables, it looks like the connectors has both data and power? But I wouldn't think an onboard SAS controller would also provide power to the drives?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-30 211022.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-30 211022.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 89

neofusion

Contributor
Fair point. Thanks for the advice.

I've just ordered an ASRock Rack EPC612D4U-8R, the onboard SAS controller put this at the top of my list. That way I should only have to add a single PCIe HBA, instead of two.

Possibly a silly question, the motherboard comes with "2 x MiniSAS HD (12G) to 4 SAS/SATA Cables (6G) (60cm)", from the photo of the cables, it looks like the connectors has both data and power? But I wouldn't think an onboard SAS controller would also provide power to the drives?
I have seen connectors with data and power combined, but they have always had a place to insert a separate power cable right into the back of the bigger combined contact.

Like so:
71pIq+vlCoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Do yours have something similar? It's difficult to see in the picture you provided.

Deeda

Explorer
I have seen connectors with data and power combined, but they have always had a place to insert a separate power cable right into the back of the bigger combined contact.

Like so:
View attachment 56504
Do yours have something similar? It's difficult to see in the picture you provided.
Ah that would make sense if that's the case. I haven't received the motherboard yet, and it's hard to find any good photos of the cables online, so not sure if it has the power at the back like in the photo you've shown.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Ah that would make sense if that's the case. I haven't received the motherboard yet, and it's hard to find any good photos of the cables online, so not sure if it has the power at the back like in the photo you've shown.
Right-hand cable in your screenshot looks like it's got the rear-passthrough SATA power. You'll need 12 SATA power cables off your PSU then, and mind the cable management so that you don't impede airflow too much.

Attachments

• this one.jpg
    this one.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 87

sretalla