Opinions on build

cabyio

Cadet
I am about to build my first FreeNAS box and wanted to see if anyone saw any issues with my current planned parts list:

CPU: Xeon E3-1240 v6
MB: Supermicro Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 Motherboards X11SSM-F-O
RAM: NEMIXRAM 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2400MHz PC4-19200 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 1.2V Unbuffered Memory
System Drive: Kingston A400 SSD 120GB SATA 3 2.5”
Storage Drives: 11x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB, 1 as a hotswap, the other 10 in a RAIDZ2 array.
Extra HBA: LSI Logic SAS 9207-8i Storage Controller LSI00301 (This is so I have enough ports for that many drives)

Do you see any problems with this setup?

Should it be fine to have some drives plugged into the motherboard and some into the HBA?

Thanks in advance.

kdragon75

Wizard
Well, your missing a case... Depending on the case, you hba/cabling could be much cleaner. Also 10 drives in a RAIDz2 is getting a bit wide for redundancies sake.

cabyio

Cadet
For my case I was thinking this: Antec Gaming Series Nine Hundred Mid-Tower with 3x iStarUSA Group 3x5.25" to 4x3.5" SAS Cage Black Trayless.

Also what downsides would I see with a raidz2 with 10 drives?

kdragon75

Wizard
For my case I was thinking this: Antec Gaming Series Nine Hundred Mid-Tower with 3x iStarUSA Group 3x5.25" to 4x3.5" SAS Cage Black Trayless.

Also what downsides would I see with a raidz2 with 10 drives?
Bad performance and increased risk during drive replacement.

cabyio

Cadet
Are we talking massive difference in performance or is it just that a 10 drive raidz2 array is not "optimal"?

I have seen in several places that the best number of drives for raidz2 is 4,6 or 10. Is that not correct? Power of 2 + parity and all that?

kdragon75

Wizard
Are we talking massive difference in performance or is it just that a 10 drive raidz2 array is not "optimal"?

I have seen in several places that the best number of drives for raidz2 is 4,6 or 10. Is that not correct? Power of 2 + parity and all that?
the whole power of 2 thing is not relevant anymore. Performance is generally a factor of the number of vdevs. If you need the performance, you could consider smaller RAIDz1 vdevs or even mirrors. If the performance is not that critical, stick with the wide vdev and keep a close eye on the smart status.

LimeCrusher

Explorer
If you need the performance, you could consider smaller RAIDz1 vdevs
I must say that numbers are not encouraging to motivate the choice of RaidZ1 with disks other 1TB of capacity.
I would advocate for mirrors to start with just a coupe disks for instance before switching to RaidZ2. Otherwise, 10 disks could be appropriate for a straight up pool made of two 5-disks RaidZ2 vdevs. Couldn't it?